Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

electrical sounds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bit_Byte_Bit

Bit_Byte_Bit

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

Hello BC, I come to ask you a question more than to ask for help fixing a problem.

On a few computers I have encountered, Windows 8.1, windows 7, vista, Ubuntu, and in both laptops and desktops, I will hear sounds. It is not on every machine and it is not only something that happened with one pair of head phones, but it was by far the most notable on a Ubuntu installed desktop computer, I could hear the computer...doing things, not the spinning of fans or the  whir of a hard drive, little electronic signals that were turned into audio. everything had a sound, and if I did the same thing, I could hear the same sound,. Moving the mouse had a sound that would go on as long as you moved it, loading a web page or a program, typing, scrolling, everything had a sound. Saving files, opening them. What is this? the sounds are not loud, playing some music will easily mask them, and they don't bother me, actually I am fascinated, what are these electrical whispers?

If I have unknowingly committed some breach of forum protocol please let me know or if I missed this being covered in another post despite my searches please direct me to it, thank you in advance for any assistance rendered. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

This is almost certainly harmonics of the signals running inside the computer.

As you know, computers are processing signals running at very high frequencies - way outside the audible spectrum - but there also lower frequencies such as mains hum at 50 or 60 Hz depending on where you live. These two sets of signals between them can generate tones within the human audible range. For example two high frequency signals at slightly different frequencies can generate a 'beat' signal at a frequency that is the difference of the two frequencies. If this difference is say 5 kHz, it is capable of generating a signal at 5kHz, which is smack in the middle of the audible range.

On top of that, basic on-board audio circuitry is not designed and built to hi-fi specs. Separate audio cards tend to have better filtering but really good audio cards are expensive.

This is a very basic and simplistic explanation of a fairly complicated subject. I must admit that I have never been aware of these sounds, but my hearing is not of the best. I am a long way from being deaf but my high frequency hearing is poor and I have mild tinnitis from spending too long on military rifle ranges before the military decided that ear defenders were a good idea.

And don't worry unduly about forum protocol. Any reasonably phrased question is acceptable, and if it is placed in the wrong section then the moderators are here to move them to more appropriate sections. And unlike many, you did a search before starting a new topic.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

I endorse Chris' comments. The sounds you're describing usually appear as twitters or little whoosh sounds corresponding to screen activity. Scrolling a web page can be a noticeable one. As Chris said, the electrical activity of drawing the screen gets injected into the audio section of the system board when the analog PCB tracks are not adequately isolated and shielded. Some mainboards have special High Fidelity physical design which separates the audio circuitry physically and electrically with extra filtering and shielding. Laptops may be a little more prone to having the effect, due to the close proximity of all the componentry, and lack of metal casing. Also in some cases it can be made worse by other factors like the cable connecting to speakers being poorly shielded.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Bit_Byte_Bit

Bit_Byte_Bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

This is Fascinating, thank you both.

#5 Platypus

Platypus