Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Triple Channel Memory problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 masteroc

masteroc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

Over the past few days I have had tons of problems which I am fairly certain stem from my memory upgrade.

The system specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7 930
Asus P658D-Premium
Crucial M4 SSD
Corsair 850W PSU
Nvidia GTX 770
6gb DDR3 Munshkin Redline
6gb DDR3 OCZ
Windows 8.1 64bit

Recently I decided to upgrade my computer from 6gb of memory (the Redline's) to 12gb along with my new graphics card. Herein is where the problems stared. Randomly (at both idle and under load) the computer would turn off. No blue screen, no errors, just turn off as if someone had unplugged it from the wall. I went through a ton of troubleshooting including reseating the CPU and heatsink, clearing CMOS, running prime 95 and watching for temps (CPU maxed at around 58C), unplugged all connections and replugged to make sure everything was seated, used onboard switches to power on the computer and unplugged the case switch, messed around with memory voltages and timings, and replaced the PSU...no dice...
It should also be mentioned that at this point the computer was recognizing the 12gb of memory that I had upgraded to.

Fast forward to today. The computer shuts down and wont power back up. It turns on, doesnt post and turns off in an endless cycle. I have moved the memory around, tried leaving out different modules and leaving different slots open but the motherboard will not post unless there is 10gb or less of memory plugged in. 5 of the 6 sticks can be plugged in and the BIOS will at least POST, it doesnt matter which stick I take out of which slot, as long as only 5 are plugged in it will at least boot.
I'm at my wit's end here, no idea what to do about this.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

P.S. Already on latest motherboard BIOS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users