Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Company Upgrade From Office 2007 to 2013

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KingHyperion

KingHyperion

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

Hey everyone,

First post, hopefully it isn't a waste ha.

Our company will be upgrading to Office 2013. I'm trying to get an idea as far as what features might be an issue or have been an issue for other people who upgraded in a company.

I suppose this isn't just a Win 7 thing, also will include XP machines and could be more an exchange server question but was just wondering if anyone had an issues when switching.

Thanks in advance,
KingHyperion

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

There shouldn't be too many issues in terms of Office files saved in 2007 format being re-opened in 2013.

However, you won't be able to install 2013 on Windows XP machines -- they will have to be upgraded to at least Windows 7 (scroll down for OS requirements): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624351%28v=office.15%29.aspx

In terms of integrating with Exchange, Outlook 2013 won't work with Exchange 2003; you would have to upgrade to at least 2007. Scroll down further on the above link for supported Exchange versions.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

I have run into a few issues with the click to run versions, also if you are buying the actual retail box (like I am) for each individual computer, you might want to read this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-office_install/track-multiple-product-keys-office-2013/b7ecaf66-b16e-4dc9-9b31-b24fb3eb25b1?page=1

In short the best way to manage office 2013 retail box accounts IMO is to create a new live account for each office key that uses the machines serial number. For example: I get a new dell laptop that needs office, I buy office, go to www.office.com/setup and enter the key from the key card, then I setup a new account for that computer which might be model-SERIAL#@outlook.com. ***After entering the key and clicking get started at office.com/setup, there is an option at the bottom on the next page for setup new account*** if you click that it will allow you to create the new account and automatically link the key to that account. WARNING, do it on the new machine not a different one (just in case), if you are logged in to any other office365/live account even an admin account it will link to that account rather than the new one. Another bug in their code.

Also for some reason (only with click to runs) when I install another software with office 2013 business such as visio 2013 or lync 2013, occasionally it breaks office. Sometimes the fix is easy (repair install), other times it requires a specific uninstall tool and then full re-install of office 2013.

One more thing, I have nearly never gotten 2013 office home and business to activate online. Maybe it is a problem with where we get our keys, or maybe it is an issue with our firewall. As of yet even with the reason and error code it doesn't activate, I have found no reason why it won't. What this means is a long number entering phone call to microsoft (phone activation).

I like office 2013 in one sense but setting it up is a real pain! Far harder/worse setup and managment with this than all previous versions.

Edited by zingo156, 23 October 2014 - 11:44 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

I went through this where I worked.  Huge proposal in development, lots of work left to do, looming deadline.  I show up only to find I've been upgraded from XP to Win 7 (and Office XP to Office 2007) over the weekend.  What a mess!  Whose stupid idea was the damned "ribbon" anyway??  Took me half the day to make Word do the simplest things I needed it to do.   

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

I too disliked the ribbon over the start menu. Even to this day I feel the ribbon is harder to use than a file menu. Just wait until you see the office 2013 ribbon which is all the same color and even harder to use efficiently. I officially hate office 2013. The click to runs are buggy and if you install extra features such as lync 2013, visio 2013, you may run into issues with office 2013 breaking. The fix isn't always easy either. Not to mention all 2013 software requires an online microsoft account to link the setup key to. What a mess!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:50 AM

Being retired now, I doubt I'll ever need, or even see, Office 2013.  The freeware WPS Office is more than enough for what I do now.  As for Microsoft, I refuse to create an online account just so I can download apps from their "store."   

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

Personally I do not use microsoft office either, I use Libre Office or Open Office. Microsoft has been trying to move forward but in my opinion, they are just moving back a few steps with windows 8 and office 2013. It appears windows 10 might be better from my alpha test but who knows how they will change it until then. The only thing I do like about windows 8 is the copy window details which shows graph data for speed for the entire transfer and also all of the current copies/transfers that are being done are in the same window.

#8 KingHyperion

KingHyperion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone,

There shouldn't be too many issues in terms of Office files saved in 2007 format being re-opened in 2013.

However, you won't be able to install 2013 on Windows XP machines -- they will have to be upgraded to at least Windows 7 (scroll down for OS requirements): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624351%28v=office.15%29.aspx

In terms of integrating with Exchange, Outlook 2013 won't work with Exchange 2003; you would have to upgrade to at least 2007. Scroll down further on the above link for supported Exchange versions.

Didn't even think to double check the system requirements. Luckily all of our users that are still on XP, which is about 4 or 5 or so will be getting VM's so that's a saved head ache.

I have run into a few issues with the click to run versions, also if you are buying the actual retail box (like I am) for each individual computer, you might want to read this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-office_install/track-multiple-product-keys-office-2013/b7ecaf66-b16e-4dc9-9b31-b24fb3eb25b1?page=1

In short the best way to manage office 2013 retail box accounts IMO is to create a new live account for each office key that uses the machines serial number. For example: I get a new dell laptop that needs office, I buy office, go to www.office.com/setup and enter the key from the key card, then I setup a new account for that computer which might be model-SERIAL#@outlook.com. ***After entering the key and clicking get started at office.com/setup, there is an option at the bottom on the next page for setup new account*** if you click that it will allow you to create the new account and automatically link the key to that account. WARNING, do it on the new machine not a different one (just in case), if you are logged in to any other office365/live account even an admin account it will link to that account rather than the new one. Another bug in their code.

Also for some reason (only with click to runs) when I install another software with office 2013 business such as visio 2013 or lync 2013, occasionally it breaks office. Sometimes the fix is easy (repair install), other times it requires a specific uninstall tool and then full re-install of office 2013.

One more thing, I have nearly never gotten 2013 office home and business to activate online. Maybe it is a problem with where we get our keys, or maybe it is an issue with our firewall. As of yet even with the reason and error code it doesn't activate, I have found no reason why it won't. What this means is a long number entering phone call to microsoft (phone activation).

I like office 2013 in one sense but setting it up is a real pain! Far harder/worse setup and managment with this than all previous versions.

We'll be purchasing with Microsofts Volume Licensing Center so no boxes for us luckily, would be way too much fiber around here ha

This does make me nervous though with the Visio and things like One Note also, hoping it doesn't screw anything up in the process. People higher up on the latter cant afford to be down and not have Office working, and I'll be the one scrambling to repair.

I went through this where I worked.  Huge proposal in development, lots of work left to do, looming deadline.  I show up only to find I've been upgraded from XP to Win 7 (and Office XP to Office 2007) over the weekend.  What a mess!  Whose stupid idea was the damned "ribbon" anyway??  Took me half the day to make Word do the simplest things I needed it to do.   

Yea the ribbon is a killer, I've played with Office 2013 and it's a head ache and like Zingo said it's the same color which makes navigating things impossible, I know the users here that are of a "higher age bracket" will struggle at first, but I guess that's to be expected in any upgrade scenario.

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

Can't speak for Visio, but I've never had problems with OneNote interfering with the rest of the Office suite. I would imagine this might be a problem if you have an older version of OneNote installed, but you can't -- or shouldn't -- have multiple versions of any Office application installed, as that will create issues. So if you are using Office business, you can't have the home version or any application from the home version installed.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

All of the issues with installing other office software with 2013 has been other 2013 software. Just yesterday I had a terrible experience with fixing office that was broken from someone installing lync 2013. Another one yesterday was broken for no reason. Nothing installed, no updates etc.

I have actually had no problems installing other 2010 software with office 2013, I am speaking of visio 2010, lync 2010, those seem to work fine and I have had 0 issues installing those before or after office 2013.

I have not tried to install office 2010 with office 2013, I have a feeling it would work fine ironically from what I have seen so far from other 2010 software. So far my experience with microsoft software has been: 2010 software plays well with 2013 software, 2013 software does not play well with other 2013 software.

I just wish for one month I could go without a single case of broken office 2013, so far this has not happened. With about 250 computers running office 2013, I have had at minimum 1 problem every 2 weeks if not more with random broken office 2013 installs and or bugs which require uninstall and re-install.

At the moment, office 2013 is good job security but terrible software in my opinion.

That said, microsoft is adding options that are nice to see, such as one drive, online editing, co-authoring (more than one person can work on a word document or excel document using the online editor at the same time).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users