Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canít download anything using IE 11, but Chrome works fine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DMBFAN

DMBFAN

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

Good morning!!

I have a user who can browse the web using IE 11, but Can’t download anything (doc or exe). Chrome works without any issues. When I log in under the administrator account, I Can download using IE. The user has admin rights by the way. The problem seems to have started when the user downloaded and installed Window Updates this past Friday (10/17). Not sure if the user also tried to update any other programs as well. I’ve tried resetting IE to default settings and checked to make sure that downloading files was enabled. Scanned the computer with Malware Bytes and Kaspersky and nothing was found. System Restore is turned off, so that option is not available. *I’m the 3rd person to work on this problem computer and not sure what the other 2 people had done to try to fix it before it came to me. This is an upper management laptop and therefore makes it difficult to gain access to it. Later today I’ll have some time to jump on it, but wanted to get the ball rolling on this frustrating issue.

Could a corrupted profile cause this? Not sure what direction I should be looking.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

See this ... https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/b8209214-7d6a-4472-88f1-914a3a01a191/internet-explorer-11-cannot-download-anything?forum=ieitprocurrentver .

Pay attention to the CTRL+J comment. If that doesn't work then possibly the Profile or the Permissions are messed up.

#3 DMBFAN

DMBFAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, Elfbane. I will look into that.

#4 DMBFAN

DMBFAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

See this ... https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/b8209214-7d6a-4472-88f1-914a3a01a191/internet-explorer-11-cannot-download-anything?forum=ieitprocurrentver .

Pay attention to the CTRL+J comment. If that doesn't work then possibly the Profile or the Permissions are messed up.

CTRL + J works. The computer is a work computer, but has the same rights as everyone else in the company. I've been thinking it was related to the Window Updates, but 30+ other users have been updated and no issues have been reported.

#5 DMBFAN

DMBFAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

It appears that the issue relates only to the profile of the user in question. I was able to login and use IE11 without any issues. I'm going to try to create a new profile for the user and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users