Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Before upgrading to OS X Yosemite 10.10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 staygold512

staygold512

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

With Apple's new OS out I figured I'd share some tips from my experience troubleshooting Mavericks install/upgrades. I hope this provides useful to someone. 

1. Check compatibility:
-Internet connection 
-2GB RAM (4-8GB recommended)
- GB HD Free
-OS X 10.6.8 or later 
-Apple ID 
-Have and administrator username/password ready

2.Check 3RD party App compatibility. Is this a work computer with essential SW to the job? 

Not a 100% accurate, but a good place to start. www.roaringapps.com 

Ask the App Developers. System Information> Software > Applications > select the App and check Signed by. 

3. Run a recent Backup: if your on this forum, this probably goes w/o saying. 

4.  Plug in to power outlet w/ good internet connection. Ethernet if possible.

5. Update Software and essential 3rd party software

6. Disable any Anti-Virus Software. Trend Micro caused some real headaches with Mavericks install. 

Again, I hope this saves someone supporting a client on Mac some time.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 K.kent

K.kent

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:40 PM

Although it’s a nice post; but one thing I need to add over here is that please create an Installer media of existing OS X version (just say OS X Mavericks) or Mac drive cloning before upgrading to Yosemite. In case, if you feel to downgrade your Mac from Yosemite to Mavericks then no problem would be there in getting the previous stage.

#3 girlguru

girlguru

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:54 AM

Also, after upgrading, iPhoto usually needs to be redownloaded from the App store.  Get the owner's Apple ID and password first to redownload apps.  iPhoto and iTunes will need to be updated after the upgrade.

#4 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:57 PM

What exactly is yosemite.   My computer keeps bugging me to download it FOR FREE but I don't know what it does - I guess I must have missed out because everything I see assumes I know what it is but I don't

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:04 AM

What exactly is yosemite.   My computer keeps bugging me to download it FOR FREE but I don't know what it does - I guess I must have missed out because everything I see assumes I know what it is but I don't

Apple's newest OS X. You don't have to download and install it if you don't want to.

#6 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

Apple's newest OS X. You don't have to download and install it if you don't want to.

Thank you - I had no idea since we've been following the Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion theme.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users