Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the next version of my GPU ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pompe2018

pompe2018

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:04 AM

I have a amd radeon 7800 series and im wondering what is the next upgrade for my graphics card ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

small step depends on the card that you have now, but realistically the next step would probably be the R9 280/R9 280x/R9 290.

280 vs 280x is 280x no brainer (only $10 more but better in most areas) 290 is another $110 but only marginally more powerful than the 280x

why are you looking to upgrade?

#3 mmd123

mmd123

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

it would also depend on how large of an upgrade that you want to go for, IE if you want just the next step up, or the next latest and greatest... if you have a 7800 series card from ati, then the very next bump up would be  a card from the 7900 series, IE the 7950 or the 7970 or if you want the best of that series, then the dual chip single card 7990 would be the best of that series, but if you want the latest and greatest, then greengiant117 is correct, the latest and greatest series would be the r7 to r9 series of cards...they will have the latest technologies and the latest breakthroughs in what ati/amd has been working on for thier video cards, however, I think with the exception of the r9 290x cards, the 7990 would be better in respects to raw performance.   I cannot speak for prices on these however, because I'm not quite up to date on the facts and information about ati as of these last few years.

corect me if I am wrong on that however, because I have not been keeping an eye on ati for a while given that I am personally an nvidia fan boy.  crossfire just does not work the way I initially thought it would, so I prefer sli given that all cards output video and not just one as has been my experience with crossfire.

Edited by mmd123, 23 October 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:32 PM

The next upgrade really depends on if you want the new generation of the same card, or an upgrade as in more horse power. The posts above are correct with the 7970 (same generation but fastest single chip card of the generation), or r290x which replaces the 7970 in the new generation.

With the new nvidia 970GTX and 980GTX availalbe, I would hold off upgrading until AMD releases their next gens. Nvidia is really getting great performance per watt out of the new cards, something that may be hard to beat. I personally have a 7970 and like the card, at the time it had the most vram which helps in certain situations for me 3d rendering.

I have been really tempted to upgrade to the 970 for the reduced power and heat dissipation. If you wait the costs may come down on the generation previous to the new releases.

Edited by zingo156, 24 October 2014 - 12:47 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users