Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD optical drive not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Roxabox

Roxabox

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

I'm just about done with my first computer build but when trying to boot the OS disk I discovered that my dvd drive isn't reading. It will open and close the tray upon request but will not read the disk. To my knowledge everything is connected properly and I see no other way to connect the dvd drive. Does it need to be connected to a specific SATA port? I have a Asus dvd drive. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:35 AM

Hi,

First try and make sure that it is not your OS disk causing the issue by seeing if you can boot to it on another system. (not sure if you have tested that yet). Also when you put the cd in the drive, take note of the position you put it in, then when you eject it, look at it again and see if it has moved its position. This helps to see if the drive is spinning the disk. If it everything fails the drive itself might be DOA. In the meantime you can always use a USB to load your OS to get yourself up and running.

Best of luck

Edited by acerts04, 22 October 2014 - 12:36 AM.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

Can you check to see if the BIOS is seeing the drive at all?  Does changing the boot order in the BIOS help?  I had a computer that refused to run discs at boot unless that specific optical drive was the first device.

3939.png

#4 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

First try and make sure that it is not your OS disk causing the issue by seeing if you can boot to it on another system. (not sure if you have tested that yet). Also when you put the cd in the drive, take note of the position you put it in, then when you eject it, look at it again and see if it has moved its position. This helps to see if the drive is spinning the disk. If it everything fails the drive itself might be DOA. In the meantime you can always use a USB to load your OS to get yourself up and running.

Best of luck

I tried booting the BIOs software disk and that didn't work either but the disk does spin.

Can you check to see if the BIOS is seeing the drive at all?  Does changing the boot order in the BIOS help?  I had a computer that refused to run discs at boot unless that specific optical drive was the first device.

I have it set to run the disk drive first and it's still not booting disks. :(

#5 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:04 AM

The text on my monitor when I boot the computer says "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" my Asus disk drive is number one in the boot sequence and when I press a key the green light on the disk drive flashes for a second but nothing happens.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:32 AM

Are you able to try other bootable discs?  Is this OS disc one you made yourself or one that came from Microsoft?

3939.png

#7 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

It's possible you may need to update the firmware for the drive. Go to the manufacturer's web site and see if there's a newer version to install.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#8 Roxabox

Roxabox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

Are you able to try other bootable discs?  Is this OS disc one you made yourself or one that came from Microsoft?

It's a disc I made. It worked fine on my old Toshiba without having to log onto windows.

It's possible you may need to update the firmware for the drive. Go to the manufacturer's web site and see if there's a newer version to install.

Is it possible to update the firmware even though I don't currently have an OS installed?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:13 AM

How did you make this disc, is it a bootable ISO that has been properly burned and finalized?  Can you try a pressed disc, which is one that comes directly from a manufacturer which is bootable?

Windows 7 and 8 have the ability to burn ISO files natively.  IMGBurn can also be used on XP.

Edited by DJBPace07, 24 October 2014 - 07:16 AM.

3939.png

#10 jamesd1981

jamesd1981

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

Instead of choosing boot order and relying on the system, have you tried pressing F12 during startup to access the boot options and directly choose the disc drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users