Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get wifi from my computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 comsky

comsky

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

If I am using a laptop/desktop/mac computer that is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable (the internet comes from the ethernet cable). Is there a way to get wifi from the computer? Maybe connect some device to the computer to make it become a wifi provider? I was wondering how to could get wifi/internet for my smartphone through the computer?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

You're better off investing in a router.  ZyXEL makes decent inexpensive routers.  I picked up that model for less than $20 on sale.

If you're dead set on doing it through the computer you need to do a search for Internet Connection Sharing also known as ICS.  ICS works, but the computer must be on when you want to use it.  While ICS works it is normally much more trouble than it is worth, hence why I recommend purchasing a router.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:02 AM

If you use the lappy as a WAP, you'll cut the bandwidth in half.

#4 comsky

comsky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:22 AM

I am asking this to know if I rent a room that I can only connect ethernet cable to the wall socket. I do not have access to the modem or router. There is only one wall socket hole to plug in the ethernet cable to get internet.

Edited by comsky, 22 October 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:35 AM

I am asking this to know if I rent a room that I can only connect ethernet cable to the wall socket. I do not have access to the modem or router. There is only one wall socket hole to plug in the ethernet cable to get internet.

You connect the wall Ethernet to the router.

Then connect devices (with another RJ45 cable) to the router via the access ports on the back of the router.

If you get a router that has WLAN capability, then you can connect to it wirelessly.

Edited by ElfBane, 22 October 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#6 kaylagarcia

kaylagarcia

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

Just check out your wireless router and wireless USB adapter on computer.

Edited by kaylagarcia, 22 October 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

" I was wondering how to could get wifi/internet for my smartphone through the computer?"

Seems like a pretty reasonable request.  No router required.  Windows 7/8 can do this natively.

http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot

there are also products you can buy that can do this also

http://www.connectify.me/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users