Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing Downloads Etc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 afenton

afenton

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

Had trouble with aol; did a system restore; able to open aol; tried downloading a file to desktop, but after completion of download, file had disappeared. Same file download started then failed to be on desktop on completion of download, though it appeared for one second, then...gone.
Also, can't browse with Firefox or IE, even though I could before; get message "Page cannot be displayed".

Damn!

Edit:

Tried to download Windows Defender - failed to appear on desktop;
Downloaded small jpeg - success;
Tried to download vid' file - failed to appear;
Therefore, must depend on download type, yes?

Edited by afenton, 12 June 2006 - 03:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Merlin_22

Merlin_22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:06 AM

when using IE, try again to go to a site.

If it still says that, then press CTRL+F5 see if that works (I had the same problem tonight and did that and presto.

If that dont work, then TRY and go to:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You_Must_Re..._Log-t2852.html

And read these instructions carefully, and then come back to this site and post an HJT Log in the HJT forum.

I am asking you to do this cause it sounds like you MIGHT have malware. So there for I would like to rule this out. I personally cannot deal to your HJT log, cause Im not allowed to on this site, but one of the stuff here will.

TONY

Kids Safe Forum <--- Please read the site guidelines before registering. You don't have to be a parent nor have any information. You can register and ask things on the forum if you want.

Update: Kids Safe is bringing out K.S.A, for more information on what it is; click the link below:
http://kidssafe.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=504

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

Umm, since you're already registered at this site, you might as well try our preperation gudie for getting a HijackThis log posted: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

GTG is a fine site, but you have to register there to download and there is no need for that.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users