Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 stuck at black screen with cursor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bgg1

bgg1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hello,
I'm trying to fix my mother's computer, a Gateway laptop running win7 (if I recall it's 64bit, home premium).
Problem is when we turn it on it appears to be booting, Windows welcome screen comes on, but after it goes to black screen with movable cursor. After a thorough search I have tried the following with no success:
Safe mode - same problem
Changing resolution - same problem
System restore - same problem. Tried with multiple restore points up to 2 months old
Startup repair - indicates no problems, restart brings me to same place.
Ctrl-alt-del - does not bring up task manager
Shift x 5 - doors not bring up sticky keys
I was able to boot with ubuntu live usb, so hardware seems ok
On safe mode with logging seems to hang at an avg dll. I tried renaming that with cmd prompt and next time i tried it was back.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, but I think my best option now may be wiping everything and starting fresh.
Thanks

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

Welcome,

Yes, a fresh start [reformat and reinstall from the CD] should resolve all of the current problems. If you want to dig into the problem and find out what it is, post back saying so and we'll see what we can do to get you the expert assistance you will need.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 bgg1

bgg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

I deFinitely would like to investigate further. As a rule I really hate to start new if there is another way. At the very least maybe I'll learn something.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

I'm going to ask a moderator to move your thread into the 'am I infected' forum so that you can get the expert assistance needed to clean your system.

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#5 bgg1

bgg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

Ok. So you think this could be virus or malware related? Given what I've cleaned out in the past it wouldn't shock me, but I didn't know that this was symptomatic of a virus.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

A virus is not the only type of infection that cause problems for you. There is also the law of unintended consequences which seems to apply at the least appropriate time. This thread has been moved so I will leave you with the experts.

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users