Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Add External Monitor To Laptop...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 teejay7

teejay7

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

My laptop screen was broken several months ago and ive just had it sitting around since thing until i figured out what to do with it. suddenly the idea came along to attach an external monitor to it so that the laptop would function as the "hard drive". i talked to the network guy here at my office and he said this shouldnt be a problem...so i tried it yesterday with a monitor i had layin around (i dont want to spend any $$). anyway, i plugged the monitor into the port in the back of the laptop, and booted the laptop. on the first try the background came up on the new monitor and i could move the cursor around. but, no icons or task bar at all. when i right clicked the desktop to try to navigate to properties to make sure the new monitor was selected nothing happened. tried ctrl, alt, del; nothing happened. manually powered the machine down by holding in the power button. upon rebooting, there was no cursor this time, still no icons or task bar, but the background was there so this is promising.

i had started up the laptop before this, and i feel as though the icons and taskbar were there b/c i heard the little "pop" or "boop" that happens when a notification bubble come out of the lower right hand corner....but obviously i couldnt see it b/c the screen is cracked...any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated, i dont have enough $$ to buy a new laptop and it seems a waste to junk this one when theoretically it should work.

could my problem be w/ the laptop itself, only the screen is injured, nothing else. or does it sound as tho the laptop and the new monitor simply are not "jiving". the monitor is on older one, the laptop is a dell inspiron 1150.

thnx!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:54 PM

Have you tried changing the display properties? The resolution (eg 1024 x 768) of your laptop may be too much for your monitor.... Try dropping ti back to 800 x 600 and see what happens.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 teejay7

teejay7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:19 AM

i got it figured out...the properties would not open, but there was a choice when i right clicked for graphic outputs i think it said, changed the monitor setting and *poof* icons and task bar, woo hoo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users