Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu error?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hubbardja

Hubbardja

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hey there, so I recently started having some issues with my cpu fan. My problem has changed over time. It used to be taht when I started my computer up, it made one beep like it was starting up normally, but then when it continues booting up, it lets out one long beep, followed by three short beeps, and brought me to a screen that read "CPU Fan Error!", and then allowed me to go into my processor and adjust my settings. I have tried re-applying the heat sync (that may not be the right term, I mean the silver liquid that rests between the processor itself and the fan), and I have tried cleaning out the fan. I fixed this problem for one start up by realizing that my fan had something blocking it, but I have been trying to start up my computer since then, and now it only does the long beep followed by three short beeps, and it doesn't eve n turn on the display. I tried making sure that my fan was all the way plugged in to the motherboard and re-attaching the heat sync. I am running an Intel quad-core 3.4 ghz processor, and have had this issue in the past but was able to fix it by replacing the heat sync. The copper on the fan seems to be stained a mildly darker color in some spots, I don't know if that could be an issue? If anyone has any ideas, that would be greatly appreciated, and if you need anything from me let me know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

Unfortunately, when the PC was powered up with the CPU fan blocked, the CPU probably fried. It doesn't take long for a CPU to fail if it completely loses cooling. You can try going back in there and checking to make sure the connections are good, but I'm guessing the CPU is shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users