Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking of download windows 10 preview

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pompe2018

pompe2018

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

Im thinking of downloading windows 10 preview will it affect any games i play such as counter strike ? is it stable ? want to know before downloading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

How to safely test-drive Win10 — step by step

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

Im thinking of downloading windows 10 preview will it affect any games i play such as counter strike ?

No way to tell till you download it and install it.  Remember this is just a preview, There may or may not be issues with drivers etc. Windows 10 Technical Preview is just that a preview, It is used to iron out bugs and should not be used to replace your day to day Operating system.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,025 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:25 AM

And remember, this is the equivalent of the Windows 8 Developer Preview, what we have today are not Consumer oriented releases. Just got a totally unexpected update and it messed up what was a pretty decent working system. Had working security & all on it. Now it's a piece of garbage. Won't even allow me to uninstall the security to reinstall & fix it

I believe that I'll wait until the Consumer Previews are available before participating further. No need for me to spend hours of frustration over pieced builds. The one that was installed tonight seemed like 5 steps in reverse. 

How could MS engineers take an OS that was running good & mess it up so bad with one upgrade? Messed it up so bad, that the security I had installed, which was running perfectly fine, and now can't uninstall to repair, not can turn on Windows Defender for temporary protection. 

However, I don't feel like the Consumer Previews will be like this, and will repeat, what we have is strictly for testing, it's not a day to day OS. For those who blindly downloaded the .exe installers, all that I can say is that one should read carefully before overwriting one's main OS. Those who have backups or recovery media are OK, those who don't are outta luck. Enjoy the bumpy ride. 

Microsoft isn't handing one an OS to run until the early part of 2016 w/out some glitches coming along for the ride. They didn't with 8, and it's going to be the same with 10. 

I'm outta here until the Consumer Previews are released. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,025 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

Thank you for the reminder! :thumbup2:

That was the recommended test method, if one didn't have a spare PC, on here & on the Microsoft Forums. 

VM's don't mess up one's PC. A dual boot is no guarantee of one's computer not getting out of whack, and I just found that out tonight. 

Maybe when the Consumer Previews are released, I'll give it another shot.....in a VM first. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

Just got a totally unexpected update and it messed up what was a pretty decent working system. Had working security & all on it. Now it's a piece of garbage. Won't even allow me to uninstall the security to reinstall & fix it

My bad I should have posted it thismorning.

First major update to Windows 10 Preview, delivered through Windows Update

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,025 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:27 AM

I wished I'd had seen the article, would have allowed me to decide what to do, before it messed up everything. I have 3 other Windows versions installed, and you know what? It didn't even offer to dual boot any of them, plus disabled the F12 key to prevent booting into another HDD. 

So I went into msconfig & set the default to Windows 7 Pro (my main one, also have Ultimate), and then was abled to start the OS. That's a first for me, all of my prior Windows installs setup dual, tri & quad boots (the latter of which it was), but this one didn't do it. That's OK though, booted into Windows 7 & thanks to EasyBCD 2.2, was able to delete the boot option to the Preview, then format the space, followed by a deletion of the partition. 

It's still on my spare Dell, but will create a vhd file out of it & run it in VirtualBox. 

Cat

#8 kaylagarcia

kaylagarcia

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:29 AM

I am also thinking to install window 10 on my system, currently i am using window 7 on my pc and want to upgrade latest window update.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,025 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:31 AM

kaylagarcia,  :welcome: to BC Forums!

Are you running the current Windows Technical Preview? Am asking, because I don't want to misinterpret your post. 

Whatever you do, you don't want to upgrade Windows 7 with this OS, and in the case of if you already have the first Technical Preview installed, watch out, it's going to be a bumpy road. I was given no notice that the upgrade was taking place, until the option to reboot to Upgrade popped up, it allowed for me to wait awhile. 

I'm telling you this because if you have a dual boot setup, it won't show when the Technical Preview updates. You'll have to go into msconfig to select Windows 7 to be the 1st option, then you'll be able to access Windows 7, so don't panic if you don't see that option. 

And if you have a 3rd party AV or IS suite installed, remove it before upgrading, if not, you won't be able to afterwards, not enable Windows Defender. Build 9860 has much rougher edges, than the 1st release. Seems like it would progress than regress, but that's how early beta testing goes. Once the Consumer Previews are released, these will be more refined & "road ready", so to speak. For about a month, I was using Windows 8 Consumer Preview as my default OS, it was that good. The next Preview, closer to what Windows 8 is today, was worse in many respects. One big one was hardware compatibility. Come on, really, how could all of this hardware work with the Consumer Preview but not the Release Preview? 

Hopefully the Windows 10 Consumer Previews won't be that way, if so, it'll be off to a shaky start, again. What I'm looking for, is for all of the problem devices of today, that was distributed with Windows 8 & 8.1, to get these resolved & fast. While customers bought these devices from the retailers & OEM's, neither had the answers, not were obligated to repair, any components on Windows 8 devices upgraded to 8.1. 

That's another issue that needs addressing & I've posted feedback on this several times. Service Packs needs to be delivered as such, it should be a painless update, that may take 30 minutes to install on a slower drive, MS needs to revert to the true & time tested method of this. Many of the issues with 8.1 could have been avoided had it been a conventional service pack. We all know that upgrade installs are crappy & have for over 15 years. It's no better today than with Windows 98 to XP & the results of the first Preview upgrade to the second proved MS hasn't made headway with upgrade delivery. 

Other OS avoids the upgrade method for the same reason. 

Whatever you decide, good luck.  :)

Cat

#10 hlmichel

hlmichel

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

I tried installing the technical preview on a virtual machine.  There were a few snags at first, but I eventually got it to run.  It was interesting for a day or so, but all I was really seeing was how it performed in a sandbox.  I couldn't even install apps from the store--they wouldn't install.

So I opted to use the spare computer--the kids use it to play minecraft and facebook.  And since that box was riddled with malware, I figured it was the perfect time to format the harddrive.

Other than minecraft refusing to work(the wife gave me a high five for that one), the technical preview has been a joy.  It runs smoother than Windows 7 on that machine.  The apps from the store sometimes freeze up, but they are easy to exit.  Also I get a memory error if I switch between having a start screen and a start menu--but nothing seems to happen outside of the popup.

For me, it's been pretty smooth sailing...but not everyone is having the luck I've had.  And the next update can certainly change my luck.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,025 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:42 AM

hlmichcl,  :welcome: to BC Forums!

Yes, what you stated above can & may will happen on your next update.......especially if you have a 3rd party security solution installed. 

And the next update can certainly change my luck.

For the worse. The bad thing is when one gets a bad upgrade like the first one, it's impossible to remove (even force remove) a 3rd party security software choice, and worse yet, unable to get Windows Defender to run. So my first upgrade left me with zero security, other than the Trial version of Malwarebytes installed. 

Also, don't use that OS to check email or to enter any sensitive passwords, as everything we type into these Windows Technical Previews becomes the property of Microsoft by keylogging, one of their main reasons being so that they could improve their spellchecker (spell checking has been stock equipment on Firefox since at least 2009) and to gather user data of apps. We have no idea who all has access to this information, however at a minimum one would think that the engineers, the developer team & others working with the percentage numbers. 

It's also best, though one cannot leave feedback, if one's not connected to the Internet during install. This allows you to create a local account, and it's also best to install a 3rd party browser, either Chrome or Firefox, though I cannot say if these are blocking the installed keyloggers or are allowing them to operate. Here's the proof they exist on one of my VM's. AVG is the first AV I've had to catch these, but couldn't remove them. 

Screenshot-Windows81Running-OracleVMVirt

Of course, you agreed to all of this before the install, by clicking through the EULA, this has been covered extensively in other Windows 10 related Topics. 

However, this is the first time I actually seen it caught on my system, and it's no longer hearsay to me. The VM Window froze at that point (just as AVG was updating), there were several more in the list that's unseen. Even with 4GB RAM assigned to it, the VM hung at that point for an hour or so, and it took a reboot to get it running smooth again. I then began a full scan with AVG & the same things were found, but were hopelessly hooked into the OS. Was surprised that Malwarebytes came up empty handed, have thought to try some more tools, but know it's a waste of time. If these were removed, we'd have no right to use the OS. 

Just letting you know before you become too overjoyed :)

Oh & when it upgrades, you may have no warning whatsoever, I didn't, until it was time to reboot, and that was the kickoff of a small disaster, had to redo my custom bootloader (EasyBCD 2.2) & couldn't do that, nor boot to another drive & go into msconfig. There, I was allowed to choose which OS to load, and off my main PC it went. 

As far as the OS goes, when it's running good it is, when it's not, you're going to know. 

Have Fun! :thumbup2:

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users