Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden files on USB Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Elysium

Elysium

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:31 PM

Hello Dear Sirs here,

I have such problems on my USB drive: I have a lot necessary files and documents on it and my trouble is that i connect it to another computers and after when i will connect it back to my own PC all files folders are hidden from it and there are .exe folders which AV is blocking to open. After i make them un hide from folder option. it needs a lot time to make them visible one by one, so my question is that can i make them unhiden by CMD or TakeCommand? And how? 

Please give me your kind advises and supports. Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:12 AM

Hi Elysium,

Just avoid plugging your USB drive on a public PC. That way you can prevent your USB drive and your data to be infected with viruses that changes your files into a completely hidden attribute.

Edited by Frozwire, 22 October 2014 - 12:14 AM.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#3 Elysium

Elysium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:37 AM

Yes i lost many files like that...:( 

So what should to make un hidden?

#4 A6Tech

A6Tech

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

This should fix it:

1) Go to Folder Options, View Tab;

2) Check Show hidden files, folders and drives;

3) Uncheck Hide protected operating system files.

4) Go to your USB Drive Directory and open a hidden folder, which should contain your files, copy them to your desktop and unhide them, then format the drive and copy the files back to the drive.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

.exe is not a type of folder, it's a type of file. And when it appears on a USB drive then unless you knowingly saved it there it is a virus. No wonder your antivirus is blocking them. I'm not sure how you get the files off from this usb drive but once you have done that, toss the usb drive in the waste bin(underneath a packet of rotten meat and vegetables so no-one will be tempted to scavenge it from the trash and get themslevs infected from it) and get a new one. In future when you want to transfer files between your machine and other people's PCs use email. Use USB drives for personal data storage and backups, or transfers between machines which you know to all be clean.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Elysium

Elysium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for advises friend. i will take care to usb not connect to all PC's though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users