Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 HP SP1 backup utility

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andy42

Andy42

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

I recently installed windows 7 on my new Windows 8.1 computer and then made a system image and set up a regular backup schedule using Windows backup in control panel. The system image was created with no problem but I ran into a problem with the file backup. I get this error message when windows attempts to backup my files "Backup encountered a problem while backing up file c:\widows\system32\config\systemprofile\Background. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified." Can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it; or even if it is something that requires fixing?

Thanks, Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

Welcome Andy,

Can you tell us exactly what you want to backup and the command line you are using to do that? Also, what is the backup destination?

Thanks. Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Andy42

Andy42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

Dick

I am backing up my c:\users\Bill files using Windows backup through Control Panel. I am attempting to backup to an external hard disc labeled e:.

Andy

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

Andy,

Does that external drive remain connected between backups? Or do you connect it just before starting the backup job?

Thanks

Dick

Dick E

#5 Andy42

Andy42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

Dick,

It remains connected all the time.

Andy

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

Andy,

I'm running out of ideas. Do you reboot the system every week, or so? Can you see the external drive listed in windows explorer? What is the command line, or a screen shot, being used for the backup job?

Thanks

Dick

Dick E

#7 Andy42

Andy42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

I shut my computer down every night except for Sundays for a few regular maaintenance tasks, of which a regular backup was supposed to be one of them. Every other month I pull the plug on everything and blow out the interior of my computer. This would be the only time my external hard drive would have the opportunity to reboot. I tried to send you some screen images but evidently this site will not accept .png images.

Bill

ps I converted the images to pdf files but could not find a way to attach files to this post. Is there such a way and if so how?

Edited by Andy42, 22 October 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:53 PM

"c:\widows\system32\config\systemprofile\"

isn't

" c:\users\Bill"

Appears you may have selected more than just your home folder.  The error is most likely related to not having the rights to backup the systemprofile folders contents.

#9 Andy42

Andy42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

I will definitely check that out, sounds like a reasonable explanation for that error message.

Thank you for all ypur time and help, it is much appreciated.

Andy

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

Andy42, on 22 Oct 2014 - 4:33 PM, said:

I shut my computer down every night except for Sundays for a few regular maaintenance tasks, of which a regular backup was supposed to be one of them. Every other month I pull the plug on everything and blow out the interior of my computer. This would be the only time my external hard drive would have the opportunity to reboot. I tried to send you some screen images but evidently this site will not accept .png images.

Bill

ps I converted the images to pdf files but could not find a way to attach files to this post. Is there such a way and if so how?

At the bottom right corner of the reply window click on 'More Reply Options'. When you do the icon selection at the top of the window will expand. Just below and to the left of the smiley is the icon for attaching an image

Good luck

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users