Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office networking question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NathanH

NathanH

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

At my place of work, a lumber/building materials supplier, management wishes to extend the range of our network to the shipping office at the other end of the property -- and to do so wirelessly.

Inside the store, our current modem and wireless router is 80 feet from the exterior wall nearest to the shipping office, and the computer in the shipping office itself is 90 feet farther away from that same wall (all in an east/west alignment). The sales counter in the store is a mere 30 feet from the same exterior wall and could serve as a bridge point between the two locations, or I could mount a device on the wall itself if need be. 

How best might I go about enabling a wireless connection in the shipping office computer which is 90 to 170 feet from prime potential router locations? One big mighty router? A series of wireless range extenders? A hope and a prayer?

(I have a spare wireless network adapter card from a computer which is now wired which I will salvage for the shipping office computer.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tkcc101

tkcc101

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

A pair of these outdoor antennas to link the two building together  would most likely be your best option.http://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

Wireless solutions assume clear line of site.  Do you have clear line of site between these locations?

You need to think directional antennas not omnidirectional like with APs and routers.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 21 October 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

Not sure where you got clear line of sight from mate because the signals bounce of walls! How else would a signal reach your machine when the WiFi spot is located aroudn corners???

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:59 AM

Not real clear on what you mean by wirelessly.  Does the solution need to be wireless or just the method the shipping office machine?  The best bet would be to run a line to the other side of the wall where the shipping office is located and hang a wireless access point.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

I get clear line of sight because I have installed such systems and learned a few things by doing so.  For example we installed a system between two buildings in the winter time.  The system quit working when the trees leafed out.  You also need to understand the difference between omnidirectional, like your home router, vs directional like the kind of equipment that is recommended for this type of installation.

http://www.ubnt.com/products/

These are the types of product that need to be reviewed/applied to this situation.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 22 October 2014 - 10:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users