Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home network showing connected to internet but not able to get on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dcalnyc

dcalnyc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and tried looking around to answers to my question before I posted but couldn't find anything. I have a Compaq CQ56 laptop. The internet is working fine and it is showing I am connected to my home network but when I click on the browser to load up the internet it doesn't open. I tried using Chrome and Firefox but no luck. I think I might have a virus of some kind. Any suggestions on how to fix this and what to do? I even tried to do a factory reset and when I hit f11 it goes to the recovery page but I don't see a restore option. I'm hoping someone can help. Keep in mind I don't have the installation CDs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

There are a multitude of reasons for not getting an Internet page, even though it may appear that your home network is working properly. Microsoft has an extensive help center. I suggest that you start here (assuming Windows 7): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cant-connect-internet#1TC=windows-7. Also, a bit late, but you may not have system restore enabled. From Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264887, Cheers.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

I can understand your concern about a possible virus but that is not the likely cause of your problem. But to put your mind at rest run a scan on your computer with your anti-virus. Double click on the icon for your AV and its control panel will open and you will see scan as one of your options. If you don't have an icon on your desktop you will probably find it at the right hand end of your task bar, possibly hiding in that little space 'Show hidden icons'. You could also run a scan with Windows Defender which you can access through 'Control panel'.

Your internet connection is in two parts. The first is the connection between the computer and the router, the second is the connection between the router and the web. The indicators on your computer mainly tell you that you are connected to the router - check the wired connections between the router and your phone line.. If you are using wireless to connect to your router you should have three green lights on it - power, wi-fi and ADSL. The first and last of these should be steady, the wi-fi one flickers as the router and the computer talk to each other. If they are any colour other than green this indicates a problem.

Another useful - and easy - test of your system is to try to connect to the internet using a different device, another computer (invite a friend round if you don't have a second one) or a mobile phone. This will tell you if it is a computer problem or a router or phone line problem.

Post back if you are still having problems after trying these steps.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users