Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has someone throttled my inernet bandwith

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AndyWWW

AndyWWW

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:51 AM

Hi

There are a number of us that live in one house and we all run off the same router. Everything has been fine until recently however yesterday I walked downstairs to find one housemate connected to the router with his laptop. He said he was was reconfiguring the connection to allow him to access the wifi as he couldnt always access this at times. However since yesterday I cannot access the internet anymore. When asked he said he was setting up a slave and master connection so that he could access the connection too - with two routers in place. However, since yesterday two of us have been unable to access the internet anymore and being the suspicious people that we are we were wondering if he has configured it so that some of us in the house get reduced bandwith speeds. Is there any way to check this?, I believe only he knows the password for the admin capacity on the router. Can I check this from mylaptop without accessing the router? It might be just that maybe the password has changed for the router but it would be nice to know

Thanks

A

Edited by AndyWWW, 21 October 2014 - 06:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

As we have no way of ascertaining the owner of said house and/or router, we are not allowed to help defeat security measures he/she may desire to put on their property. It is against our rules, which can be found here ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/ .

Edited by ElfBane, 21 October 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#3 AndyWWW

AndyWWW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

Ok thanks for the quick reply, he isn't the landlord he is just a regular guy who rents the house the same as me, we are all supposed to have equal access to the connection but now we do not. I guess he wins as I don't have the necessary IT knowledge to do anything about it, guess the only thing to do is contact the landlord but then I don't want to create bad tension in the house and start making accusations when I don't really know whats happened - we had to unplug the router he installed today, otherwise we wouldn't be able to access the internet

#4 AndyWWW

AndyWWW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

Please can someone help, I don't want to circumvent settings, I simply want to know who is getting what bandwidth in the internet. That way I can go to my landlord (I don't want to cause friction in the house by making false accusations) and take it up with the land lord if it is being throtled, as my internet connection is completely useless and I need my connection for work. I am 40 not a child who has had his parents add security measures to his connection, I need my internet connection for my job. Please I am only asking as I have little knowledge of IT and was hoping someone would be kind enough to help

Edited by AndyWWW, 23 October 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

Do you get no connection or slow connection? cause you've said both. I don't know what master/slave connections means. If he added a router as repeater so he gets wireless coverage that shouldn't mess with your connection unless you are connecting to his router. I know you don't want to cause friction but if this is for your job then dude tell him that. Just explain after whatever he did your connection is crap and he needs to fix it. If he refuses then go to the landlord. Is the main router the landlord's?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

I think your first point of call is your landlord, and take your friend with the same problem with you. There is no need to be confrontational in any degree, the problem is not of his making, but if it is in your rental that you are entitled to internet access then it is up to him to sort the problem out. If necessary, bring him back to the property to show him what the problem is.

While Elfbane is entirely correct in that we cannot offer advice to counter legitimate security measures that the owner of a property or an employing company may make, this does not sound like that is the case here. If what your suspicions about what has happened are correct, then it is up to your landlord to sort them out.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#7 AndyWWW

AndyWWW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

thanks for the replies, I really am being genuine here. I am now also getting my virus protection warning me of DNS cache poisoning attacks, Im not sure what is happening anymore?

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

You said

we had to unplug the router he installed today, otherwise we wouldn't be able to access the internet

Seems to me that is the proof you need to make your point with the landlord. He hooks up the router, no internet for you.
You unhook the router and bingo, you do have internet.

It isn't a false accusation, it's fact.

Does the landlord pay the internet bill? If he does, it's coming out of the rent he charges. Therefore all who live in the house are paying for it and deserve equal access.

Equal access also applies if you and the others are splitting the cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users