Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just want to ask a simple question, what is the best antivirus to have?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Rikersls

Rikersls

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:28 AM

I have AVG but as of today it expired. I didn't like it no more and I'm not going to renew it, I got infected several times while I had it, so it will no be renewed. So any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 October 2014 - 04:11 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:55 AM

If you have Comcast as ISP you can download Norton Security suite for free. Comodo is darn good too. They have a free suite too. Infact Comodo offers free things that others don't. They give away free 1 year e-mail SSL signatures.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

Worth a read: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316629

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus.

#4 syrius01

syrius01

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:28 PM

Give avast! free anti-virus a try, that's the one I currently use.

#5 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

Avast is not better I assure you.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

Bitdefender has one of the highest ratings and to me its the least intrusive compared to AVG and Avast! of which I have used both in the past.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:
* What is the best antivirus protection?
* What's the best premium security suite in the market currently?
* Recommend a good free antivirus program
* Which antivirus and malware programs should I use together?
* Antivirus Solution?

Here are links to polls about this very subject:
* Poll: Best Antivirus and Firewall
* Poll: Best Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/On-Demand Scanner
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

Good advice. I tell you I have come across some well known heavy hitter virus scanners that was completely shut down by a virus. All because the viruses attacked the virus scanner themselves. Then having several different offline virus scanners helps. Keeping a backup clone of the OS. Deletng the virus is one thing, repairing the damage done to the system is another. Restore points and backup solutions is like having a time machine and that is the best tool to have when things start to get down and dirty.

#9 Rikersls

Rikersls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:57 AM

Well, thank you all for the help, I think we all have different needs when it comes to antivirus, and for what i read they all are prone to failure.

Thank you all for the help!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:58 AM

Keep in mind...No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. Important Fact: It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Earlier this year, Bromium published Endpoint Protection: Attitudes and Opinions, a statistical analysis of more than 300 information security professionals. The results revealed that endpoints are vulnerable, anti-virus is ineffective and end users are a weak link.

End Users Remain Biggest Security Headache as Compromised Endpoints Increase

2013 was a wildly visible year for cyber security and online privacy...And yet for all the visibility, punditry, and drama, new data suggests that internet users are still terrible at choosing a good password...

Its 2014 And Our Passwords Arent Getting Better

Therefore, security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.

#11 marry_smith

marry_smith

• Banned Spammer
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

Norton antivirus is best for pc.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Norton antivirus is best for pc.

There are many antivirus that is suiatble for home as well as business users including norton, avg , avast , trend micro , kaspersky and mcafee etc. But according my view kaspersky internet security software is the best antivirus for home user.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552285/best-antivirus/?p=3512958

#13 Rikersls

Rikersls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

Lol, it sounds contradicting. I decided to go with payed malwarebytes anti-malware , payed superantispyware and windows essentials. How does that sound?

#14 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:06 AM

From what I've read, there are better paid-for anti-malware/anti-spyware programs than SAS (SuperAntiSpyware) such as MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,) which you have and EMSIsoft.

As a former user of MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials,) I can attest that MSE is not very good in comparison to other anti-virus programs that I tested for free using the free trials such as Kaspersky and ESET NOD 32. I currently have ESET NOD 32 (paid-for) and EMSIsoft (paid-for) as well as several other protection programs such as WinPatrol (free) and Spywareblaster (free.) I also have MBAM, SAS and several other scanners/tools as stand-alone scanners and tools. The combination of having real-time protection from both ESET NOD32 and EMSIsoft seems to work extremely well; however, the drawback is that they both are paid services. With that said, the money is well worth it in my humble opinion. It additionally seems to be the case that free anti-virus and anti-malware programs are not nearly as effective and/or dynamic as paid-for ones. Safety seems to have its monetary price in the affairs of anti-virus and anti-malware protection.

I have been attempting to increase my limited knowledge on this very subject for the past two years or so. I can tell you that you ought to do your own research as well as listening to insights from experts like quietman and other staff members on this forum. While (just about) everyone has an opinion, opinions vary. Moreover, some of them are not informed and/or impartial. It might be difficult to discern, but you should critically determine how insightful someone's opinion is or not.

Edited by Without_A_Monitor, 23 October 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

As a side note...an offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Market and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. As such, users may have to deal with occassional pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users