Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on subnetting question!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 garyhost08

garyhost08

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:46 AM

Hi, I'm having a mind blank, I have been stuck on this question for awhile now and getting nowhere, Can someone please help and explain how you got the answers.

Thanks

Here it is:

You are administrator of large company you have been given an IP Address 192.168.10.0. There are 8 main departments that each requires their own subnet answer the following question. 

What is the Subnet mask?
How many available Subnets are there?
How many available hosts are there?
What is the first subnet?
What is the 3rd subnet?
What is the broadcast address of the first subnet?
What is the broadcast address of the 3rd  subnet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:27 AM

I am assuming the starting subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 since that's a class C subnet. So subnet the 4th octet for 8 networks. Since that is what the question reads you need.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 21 October 2014 - 08:39 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

That is kind of a trick question.  "large company" would not describe a class C subnet with only 254 hosts. This is misleading.

This appears to be more of an exercise in logic.

Only way I see this working is using 255.255.255.224 subnet mask

There are 8 subnets at 30 hosts between 192.168.10.0 and x.x.x.31 to x.x.x.218 through x.x.x.248

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

Wanderer, you are being a little too literal. It's a subnetting question. The addresses and logic for the real world, mean nothing. You are given a starting address, subnet mask and then asked for X number of hosts per network not caring how many networks OR X number of networks not caring how many hosts. 

In this insistence, if I was given a class C address I'd assume a class C subnet mask to start. OH and I was wrong, you subtract when looking for hosts. Also, giving the answer isn't helping learn subnetting. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  I didn't give all the answers.  There is still work to be done.  But there are some helpful hints like ignoring the misleading information.  Normally I would agree with you and refrain from helping people do their homework but for my interpretation this was a little different.

Sometimes you need a helpful hint to be successful.  I have gotten them from others.  My turn to pass it on.

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:49 PM

The best thing about subnetting is the numbers never change, once you learn binary math and the "On & Off" of binary the rest falls into place. Take note of the Subnet and Broadcast addresses!

Below the "l", consider them binary bits, 192 being the first octect would be 128 + 64 so the router checks that and goes bingo class C and the rest are OFF or 0's, thats where the IPSubnet is differant! You could use 192 but its VLSM so it isnt class C.

l     l     0   0   0  0  0  0

128 64 32  16 8  4  2  1

Anyway, this appears to be a study question and thats where i stop. have a crack mate and If you get stuck ask more questions.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:51 AM

Sometimes the teaching materials doesn't teach the tricks needed to take on a trick question. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users