Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best linux OS for Lenovo X100e?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 emailman

emailman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:05 AM

I have a Lenovo X100e which runs very hot after running for less than 30 mins. CPU temperature runs as high as +70C with Ubuntu 12.04 desktop. I wonder if there are other more suitable linux OS distro? Say peppermint 5?

Or I should just return it for repair?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

CPU temperature runs as high as +70C with Ubuntu 12.04 desktop

How do you know this? What sensors are you running.

That PC ?

• 1.6GHz AMD Athlon Neo Single-Core MV-40 Mobile Processor
  • 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (667MHz)

That should run Ubuntu just fine.

Or I should just return it for repair?

Is that under warranty?

Is your fan working. Is it clean etc.

#3 emailman

emailman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:20 AM

I am using Glances (http://nicolargo.github.io/glances/). Screenshot can be posted later.

• 1.6GHz AMD Athlon Neo Single-Core MV-40 Mobile Processor
  • 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (667MHz)

Yes this is the PC I mentioned.

It is no longer under warranty.

The fan is running noisily so I assume that is working.

The overheat problem has appeared couple years ago. I switched to another labtop at that time.

Now I want to reuse this X100e as test pc. Need to find a way to solve the overheating problem.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

The fan is running noisily so I assume that is working.

First you might try cleaning the vents etc by blowing some compressed air from a can thru them in short bursts.

I think this is a cooling/Hardware issue.

Just for fun you could try puppy linux. download the iso abd burn it to cd then boot your pc from cd, Puppy is light weight and runs from ram, if your pc still overheats its hardware.

Download latest Puppy Linux release

Ubuntu 12.04 desktop

The screen shot shows Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit ?

When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.
[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

Edited by NickAu1, 21 October 2014 - 03:57 AM.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:09 AM

Do you know what frequency the CPU runs at when the computer is 'idling'? I have seen the 1.8GHz CPU in my laptop run at three speeds: 800MHz, 1600MHz and 1800MHz. When it runs at 1800MHz for extended periods of time it can overheat, but when running at 800MHz for extended periods of time it cools down enough for the fan to switch off completely.
lscpu
...should display the frequency in MHz.

*buntu 12.04 should handle all this automatically.

If you try Puppy, look for 'CPU Frequency Scaling Tool' in the set up menu, and go through the options to enable that for your CPU - just pick the default choices that are offered, and when it comes to choosing the correct driver for your CPU from the list you are presented with, just try different ones until you find one that the software accepts - it will tell you if you've picked the correct one or not.

'On demand' CPU Frequency Scaling on Puppy does exactly as I described, and slows the CPU frequency down when it's full processing power is not required, meaning the CPU runs a lot cooler than it otherwise would.

But like I said, *buntu should do this (by default) as well, so unless something has gone wrong with your particular installation, I would doubt that the operating system is the problem.

Edited by Al1000, 21 October 2014 - 04:10 AM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:16 AM

On demand' CPU Frequency Scaling

For Ubuntu.

sudo apt-get install indicator-cpufreq

Screen shot from my PC.

wje1x3.png

*buntu should do this (by default)

And it should shut down and not drain the battery when shut down, And we both know in my case it didn't.

I would doubt that the operating system is the problem.

+1

Edited by NickAu1, 21 October 2014 - 04:29 AM.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:30 AM

Nice one!

That would be the first thing I would try.

#8 emailman

emailman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:35 AM

thanks for the tip. Will try later and let you know the result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users