Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendation for backup software on Windows Server 2012

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dbboy9

dbboy9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:43 AM

Hi, as mentioned in the title, what backup software do you recommend for Windows Server 2012?

I would need incremental backup, scheduling and back up to both local and cloud storage.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

Symantec Backup Exec

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:01 PM

%100 stay away from Symantec Back Up EXEC. Its terrible, costly and useless as far as i am concerned. Most IT admins are leaving it in droves and using better tech like Veeam, Shadow Protect along witha  NAS.

#4 emailman

emailman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

Agree stay away from Symantec Backup Exec.

Veeam and Acronis are the big players in the field. I also found another brand CloudBacko useful for customers with limited budget. It provides most features as in Veeam but without central management panel. I can easily integrate with third-party monitoring software.

#5 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

Agree with staying away from backup exec. Under "Veritas" it was king but as always... Symantec ruined it...

x64

#6 Bitboyz

Bitboyz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:48 PM

I prefer Shadowprotect. They have support for hyper-v, off-site streaming etc... Their boot disc environment is nice, and because it's windows based I've never ran in to issues loading raid drivers.

I've had one instance where the acronis boot disk didn't contain the proper drivers for a raid array in an HP server, which made it a pain to perform a bare metal recovery.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

If Symantec was a person you would just want to smack it in the face hey!!.

yes shadowprotect of good for baremetal recoveries but i would still rec ommend Veeame for virtual.

#8 Bitboyz

Bitboyz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:07 PM

I agree Veeam is best for VM's, but I didn't see anything about VM's in the thread title.

#9 starrouter

starrouter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

I have several servers running ms sql and oracle databases and other server based applications.  In days gone by, I used to use seagate / veritas / symantec backup exec and tape drives.  We outgrew the tape drives and buexec became too costly to keep, so we used Novastor for a couple of years, but we went to Cobian backup about 3 years ago and have never regretted it.  It's Totally free, has many options including full, incremental and differential backup options, a robust scheduler and a ton of other great features.  Instead of using expensive large tapes and large capacity tape drives, we are using QNAP NAS devices with multiple 2TB hard drives.  As an IT manager responsible for all of this data that has to be backed up, it took me a while to convince myself that I could actually have reliable backups without an expensive backup program and tech support, but moving to Cobian has saved my employers a lot of money and our backups are completely reliable.

#10 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

I agree Veeam is best for VM's, but I didn't see anything about VM's in the thread title.

Didnt see anything about Physical servers either!

#11 Soldierbane

Soldierbane

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

I 100%  support Veeam if it it's virtual. Both the product and the support that come with it are truly amazing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users