Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAPTOP OVERHEATING DELL INSPIRON 15Z TOUCH

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 driger8642

driger8642

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

My first post here, so Hi Guys :D

Now business :P....

Computer Specs:

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz Manufacturer Intel Speed 2.0 GHz Number of Cores 4 Video Card Intel® HD Graphics 4000 Manufacturer Intel Chipset Intel® HD Graphics 4000 Dedicated Memory 32 MB Total Memory 1.8 GB Memory 8.1 GB Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit Service Pack 0 Size 64 Bit Edition Basic Display Maximum Resolution 1366 x 768 DVD MATbleepA DVD+-RW UJ8DB CD MATbleepA DVD+-RW UJ8DB Drive   Size 454.7 GB Free

383.9 GB

So me being dumb I bought a DELL... oh the horror.... but anyways, after 1 year it started to overheat pretty badly so I cleaned it out ( hardware and software ), which includes the fan and the heatsink and also replaced that cheap thing with Artic Silver 5. There was barely to no overheating after that for 2 months. After 2 months(2 weeks ago), the laptop started to voerhead, mainly in the RAM area which of cource is directly beneath the heatsink i believe. I play League of Legends quite a bit and the main overheating happens when I run it. The in-game ping rises to 500 which causes me to disconnect and this only occurs when the base of the laptop (beneath the RAM) is burning hot, once it cools down, I can play the game. Either League of Legends is the main cause or it can be running any kind of heavy app can cause overheating. Besides running the game, it tends to heat up alot regardless There seem to be no viruses as it comes clean with rkill, roguekiller, malwarebytes, etc. and ther eis no dust or any sort inside the laptop. Anything else I can try? Any suggesstions on a better heatsink and fan? Can the problem be something else? Thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:45 AM

Based on everyone I know who has tried to game on a laptop, it sounds like it's operating normally.

I think there are some products you could try, like fans that stick onto the side, or these fan platforms that go under the laptop.

#3 driger8642

driger8642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

Based on everyone I know who has tried to game on a laptop, it sounds like it's operating normally.

I think there are some products you could try, like fans that stick onto the side, or these fan platforms that go under the laptop.

Well yes i totally agree, but one thing still bugs me. It never happened before and just recently started happening. Would that be considered normal or not?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

You could try replacing the fan itself. Sometimes when they get older they struggle to make correct rpms under load. I7s run hot to begin with and gaming on laptops nearly always causes some sort of issues from my experience.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:17 AM

One question: how did you apply the thermal paste and how much? Remember, less is better, and putting a dot in the center of the chip and letting the pressure from the heat sink spread it out is the correct way to use thermal paste. Some people use their finger to smooth out the thermal paste over the chip, this can cause air bubbles which will prevent proper cooling.

Edited by zingo156, 21 October 2014 - 11:18 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 driger8642

driger8642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

You could try replacing the fan itself. Sometimes when they get older they struggle to make correct rpms under load. I7s run hot to begin with and gaming on laptops nearly always causes some sort of issues from my experience.

I was thinking about replacing the fan along wit the heatsink itself. Should I just get the stock one or is there a better Fan/heatsink I can use for this laptop?

One question: how did you apply the thermal paste and how much? Remember, less is better, and putting a dot in the center of the chip and letting the pressure from the heat sink spread it out is the correct way to use thermal paste. Some people use their finger to smooth out the thermal paste over the chip, this can cause air bubbles which will prevent proper cooling.

I did follow the instructions on using as little as possible for the thermal paste but yes I did spread it out, I used Artic Silver 5, but since you say it creates air bubbles, should I replace it once again? I put a really thin layer of it using a card (NYC MetroCard lol).

#7 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:29 AM

Yeah don't do it that way with a card.

Just put a pea sized blob (perhaps smaller than a pea, don't quote me I've only done it like twice in my life) in the middle and then stick the heatsink down on it and it will spread it out naturally. In my opinion though, the way you did it was probably OK (considering the Cooler Master stuff I bought actually says to do it that way)

As far as it just having problems now, I dunno, maybe now that summer is well over, you no longer have AC running and your room is a bit warmer with the heat on? (or maybe that's a ridiculous thought?)

You could probably do some kinda crazy copper ram heatsink mod or something. I know a guy who has an external fan like I suggested, and his games crash when he doesn't turn it on, and don't crash when he does. So that's something.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

You can try replacing the heat sink, however I have never seen an after market cooler specifically designed for a laptop that fit in the same spot as the original one. I would bet you will have to use a stock cooler. You could also just replace the fan itself. The heat pipes (copper part) can crack and leak, if the fluid drains, the cooler won't work at all. If your cooler still transfers heat evenly through the entire cooler, there isn't any reason to replace the cooler itself.

I would suggest trying to re-paste the heat sink without using anything to spread it out other than the pressure from putting the heat sink on. It may or may not help.

Lowering ambient room temperature will also help or at least allowing the laptop to breath. Do not block the intake or exhaust of the laptop by using it in an area that obstructs air flow.

#9 driger8642

driger8642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

Yeah don't do it that way with a card.

Just put a pea sized blob (perhaps smaller than a pea, don't quote me I've only done it like twice in my life) in the middle and then stick the heatsink down on it and it will spread it out naturally. In my opinion though, the way you did it was probably OK (considering the Cooler Master stuff I bought actually says to do it that way)

As far as it just having problems now, I dunno, maybe now that summer is well over, you no longer have AC running and your room is a bit warmer with the heat on? (or maybe that's a ridiculous thought?)

You could probably do some kinda crazy copper ram heatsink mod or something. I know a guy who has an external fan like I suggested, and his games crash when he doesn't turn it on, and don't crash when he does. So that's something.

Well the room temp is normal, a littler coller than normal actually since I like it a little bit colder... I will re-apply the thermal paste and give it 1-2 days since people say Artic Silver 5 takes 1-2 days to become completely solid.

You can try replacing the heat sink, however I have never seen an after market cooler specifically designed for a laptop that fit in the same spot as the original one. I would bet you will have to use a stock cooler. You could also just replace the fan itself. The heat pipes (copper part) can crack and leak, if the fluid drains, the cooler won't work at all. If your cooler still transfers heat evenly through the entire cooler, there isn't any reason to replace the cooler itself.

I would suggest trying to re-paste the heat sink without using anything to spread it out other than the pressure from putting the heat sink on. It may or may not help.

Lowering ambient room temperature will also help or at least allowing the laptop to breath. Do not block the intake or exhaust of the laptop by using it in an area that obstructs air flow.

Yes I will see and re-apply the paste and see where that leads me, the intake and exhaust of the laptop isn't bloked by anything at all, everything is cleared out of dust, including the inside of the fan, but yes It can qite possible be the copper part of the heatsink. Is there a website or someplace where I can buy brand new trustworthy stock heatsink for this laptop? Again, I will re-apply the paste first and give it 1-2 days for proper results since Artic Silver 5 takes some time to be completely solid ( or so I've heard ) then if no resuts, I will get a new heatsink.

#10 driger8642

driger8642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

In addition, I believe the heatsink isn't damaged, I'm not entirely sure and can be wrong but the exhaust air is indeed hot air so I guess the heatsink is working properly then again like I said, I can be wrong

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

In addition, I believe the heatsink isn't damaged, I'm not entirely sure and can be wrong but the exhaust air is indeed hot air so I guess the heatsink is working properly then again like I said, I can be wrong

I would tend to agree with this, if the exhaust is hot, the heat sink is likely working fine. The fan might not be running at 100% due to a failing bearing or something along those lines. If reapplying thermal paste doesn't change the temperature, I would try a new fan. Also I use Ebay (.com) all the time for specific laptops parts.

Here is an example of a possible part for your laptop (this one is used and only an example): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Dell-XPS-15Z-L511Z-CPU-Fan-PC5GP-KSB0505HA-D-AK84-Delta-0PC5GP-/181173687091?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item2a2ecb1333

When you have the computer apart and the fan out, there will be a part number on that fan, something like this: 0PC5GP

You can search ebay by that part number, sometimes removing the first 0 so that you are only searching by PC5GP

helps. If the part numbers match, that part should work in the laptop. You might do a search for New PC5GP or New 0PC5GP.

Edited by zingo156, 23 October 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#12 driger8642

driger8642
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

I would tend to agree with this, if the exhaust is hot, the heat sink is likely working fine. The fan might not be running at 100% due to a failing bearing or something along those lines. If reapplying thermal paste doesn't change the temperature, I would try a new fan. Also I use Ebay (.com) all the time for specific laptops parts.

Here is an example of a possible part for your laptop (this one is used and only an example): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-Dell-XPS-15Z-L511Z-CPU-Fan-PC5GP-KSB0505HA-D-AK84-Delta-0PC5GP-/181173687091?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item2a2ecb1333

When you have the computer apart and the fan out, there will be a part number on that fan, something like this: 0PC5GP

You can search ebay by that part number, sometimes removing the first 0 so that you are only searching by PC5GP
helps. If the part numbers match, that part should work in the laptop. You might do a search for New PC5GP or New 0PC5GP.

Thanks a lot, I always use Ebay as well but was asking if there was a legit site with 100% authentic new part, but I do trust Ebay since I buy the stuff after looking at the description and the seller's rating. As of right now, the heat has reduced, not drastically but a little bit, guess I was applying the paste wrong, most likely I will be getting the new fan and a new heatsink just in case and see how that goes. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users