Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt thumb drive corrupts other thumb drives - virus or faulty cable?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computerdownhouse

computerdownhouse

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

My antiquated system's specs:

op sys = Windows Nt 4.0
hdd = 2GB
two USB ports

I'm using a shareware USB driver

Because the ports are at the back of the computer and are difficult to reach I use two cables purchased from the dollar store. The cables are around five years old. I've been using the shareware USB driver for around five years. No major problems until now.

I use many thumb drives on cable & port #1. My backup thumb drive is on cable & port #2.

I have a tempermental 4GB flash drive that I use for copying files from other computers. The flash drive is actually larger but I formatted it to maximum capacity for my system. This flash drive is now corrupt. Cross-linking, single files being listed multiple times in the same directory, illegal entries, files of impossible sizes and cluster locations (e.g. cluster 452,621,515,971 on a FAT 16 flash drive). Files named USBCB now appear in my directories. According to a reliable disk editor program, files are now marked as volumes.

So I tried saving the good files to another flash drive. Can't remember which cable I put each on. (By this point, I had unhooked my document backup thumb drive. It's still unhooked and will remain unhooked until I figure this out.)

Now the other flash drive became corrupt. Oddly, it was older files and directories got damaged. The copied-over files were fine.

At first I thought virus, but there were no usual tell-tale signs. Moreover my hdd is fine. I rebooted it several times over and no problems. I even copied several files from the tempermental corrupted flash drive onto my hdd without problems. My backup thumb drive is okay - I tested it every which way and it's okay. I unhooked it and have kept it unhooked.

I virus-scanned the flash drive on a modern computer system with an up-to-date virus scanner and no viruses were found.

I think my USB driver program is okay. I can't remember for sure, but I believe that flash drive corruption continued even after I rebooted the system.

It's not a counterfeit USB capacity problem. I reformat all flash drives for FAT 16.

Then I thought, I'm always shoving the #1 cable around - it's always in the way. Can a faulty cable corrupt flash drives?

I put both corrupt flash drives on the #2 cable - to try and recover the lost files and directories - and there's been no more corruption.

When I get a chance I'm going to plug another USB directly into the #1 port and then copy the good files from the tempermental corrupted flash drive onto the other flash drive and will report back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerdownhouse

computerdownhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

I should add that I've been using the tempermental flash drive a lot for at least half year - pretty much non-stop. It's tempermental because sometimes when I plug it into any system, I have to wait fifteen or so seconds for the system to recognize it. Sometimes I have to remove it and replug it.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

Yes a faulty cable can send random data and electrical signals which can corrupt flash drives. I highly suspect this is your issue, as your other cable is working fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users