Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reclaiming an Unused Partition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:53 PM

Hi,

A few years ago I bought an Acer Veriton M2 computer that came with two operating systems installed on the 160 GB hard drive. However, this is not a dual-boot machine. When I turned it on for the first time, I had to decide which operating system I wanted to use, Windows XP or Windows 7 Professional. I picked Windows 7. This means that half of the 160 GB drive (the half allocated to Windows XP) is not available for use. I know that this is true because when I check the properties for the C: drive, the size is shown as 80 GB. Is there a program or utility that I can use to free up the unused partition so that I can make use of it?

Thanks,

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

Is this partition before the windows 7 partition?

Is there a separate boot partition?

how about posting a link to a screen capture of Disk Management screen showing the partitions?

#3 The Gyro39

The Gyro39

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

**Before doing anything, back up any files you may need.**

Go to Disk Management by going to Start> Right Clicking on Computer> Manage> Disk Management (Under Storage)

Right click on the volume with the Windows XP partition and "delete volume". It will now turn that into unallocated space. To use that space, extend the volume on the partition with Windows 7 installed.

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Okay, maybe I need to take a look at this again. When I use Windows Explorer, I see the drive "ACER (C:)" which is the drive I use. Below that is shown "DATA (D:)". Clicking on this and checking it's Properties shows it as 60 GB. So this must be the other partition. I may have looked at this in the past and seen that the D: drive contains many fies of various types. Since I don't know much about the guts of the operating system, I'm reluctant to delete files that I don't understand, so I may have left this drive alone, thinking that it had something to do with the XP OS that I'm not using.

Can I safely assume that I can delete these files from the D: drive and just use D: for more data storage space?

Here are screen captures of the Storage Management and Windows Explorer screens.

Attached File  ScreenHunter_03 Oct. 20 18.04.jpg   102.61KB   0 downloads

Attached File  ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 20 17.38.jpg   80.16KB   0 downloads

Bob

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

The Gyro39 if this was the boot partition you were recommending be deleted Warthog-Fan wouldn't be too happy with you.

Fortunately as we can see from the Disk management screens this is not the case.  Whew missed that bullet!

Yes Warthog-Fan you can just delete those files or folders [though it is reported as 100%free] and use it for file storage.  Or you can as The Gyro39 suggests delete the partition and merge it into your OS partition.

As mentioned backup/image your C: partition completely before doing a merge

#6 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:06 AM

Gentlepersons,

Thanks for all of the help on this issue...!!!

Bob

#7 The Gyro39

The Gyro39

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

The Gyro39 if this was the boot partition you were recommending be deleted Warthog-Fan wouldn't be too happy with you.

He did say he used Windows 7 as his OS of choice, which I assumed was his boot partition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users