Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can You Hear This Noise? Adults Arent Supposed To Be Able To...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

I found this give it a read and download the tone to the left hand side.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/12/technolo...serland&emc=rss

My parents say there cool they can hear it but not as loud as I can.... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:48 PM

:thumbsup:

Now I wonder if they could make a ringer that only adults can here, and young one can't... :flowers:

I think it is a great idea, only if your teacher is over 30 :trumpet:

I'm having trouble getting it on my phone. I can't even text the url to my phone. :inlove: My phone is being akward. Anyways I'll eventually find a way to put it on there.

Edited by yano, 12 June 2006 - 09:59 PM.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:16 PM

Its to painful for me to want to put it on my phone...But maybe on my mp3 player to show friends...CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:47 PM

I can definitely hear it, it is quite piercing. Sound a little higher in pitch than my built in tinitis. Would guess about 16-17 KHz.

We used to use a similar item to keep the birds out of the hanger at the airport I flew out of. We'd pump out about 5 watts of audio power that swept in frequency from about 20 - 30 KHz. Couldn't hear it, but you could feel it - it gave the hangar an eerie atmosphere.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:07 AM

Yeah, i can hear it, and so can my girlfriend. She hates the sound. Apparently it's a lot louder/more distinct to her than it is to me. I'm 19 and she's 17, so i don't think we should be THAT far apart..... maybe i'm just more deaf from all the metal :thumbsup:

Oh, something else i noticed. You seem to be able to hear it better if you face directly towards the speakers. I tried to turn my ear towards it, and it quickly disappeared.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:25 AM

The sound reminds me of when I hear a TV on, from another room in my house.

I heard once, (not sure if it is true), that men are more sensitive to higher pitched sounds than woman. This is why most men can tell if a TV was left on in another room, and most woman can't.

#7 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

I can walk into a classroom or just a room in general and i can tell if the TV is on from that high pithced sound, but i had to have my speakers up all the way (on a laptop) and all the controls in the equalizer at 100% to be able to hear the ringtone :thumbsup: Im only 15, and already going deaf.

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:12 PM

Yeah it kinda sounds the same way to me. I will be in bed and wake up and hear a ring sorta like that noise and know its the tv and when I focus I can hear the words to the tv. One or two of the dogs seem to be able to hear it but the cat doesnt mind even with the headphones...weird

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:58 PM

Just a FYI.. The high pitched sound you hear from the TV is the horizontal sweep - 15.75 KHz.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:46 PM

This tone here is 17khz

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:47 PM

Cool. I didn't know what the frequency of the tv was, or why it made it.

One or two of the dogs seem to be able to hear it but the cat doesnt mind even with the headphones...weird

Wait, what? Your cat uses headphones? :thumbsup:

#12 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:04 AM

Just a FYI.. The high pitched sound you hear from the TV is the horizontal sweep - 15.75 KHz.

That is interesting to know. when i was in school i could hear that sound out in the hallway. then i would know we were going to get to watch a movie or something.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#13 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:11 AM

I can hear this perfectly, it's so annoying, so I decided to test out the theory- can aults heard it?
Well, I asked my mum to come in, but she swore she couldn't hear a thing; whilst my dad could hear it perfectly, and yelled at me because it hurt his ears!
Hmm, differences between the sexes again?

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:21 AM

My mum and dad can both hear it - my cousin who is 3 years of age started crying!
David

#15 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:27 AM

My dad could hear it better than my mom I think. I wonder if my sister who is younger than me can hear it better than me or louder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users