Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing McAfee Antivirus in Windows 81.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

Hi,

My friend's computer came with McAfee Antivirus preinstalled. On my computer, I found that McAfee seemed to slow down the computer quite a bit, and I got rid of it in favor of Microsoft Security Essentials. As I recall, someone on this forum told me that I needed to download and run a utility to completely remove McAfee, since Windows Uninstall alone would not do the whole job. Is there a similar utility for Windows 8 that I should use to help in deleting McAfee from my friend's computer and if so, where can I get a copy?

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 October 2014 - 03:49 PM.
moved from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Download link is under XP removal instructions.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:20 PM

Also, from a post by quietman7...

Summary of steps to replace an existing anti-virus

• Before removing your old anti-virus, download and save the setup file for the anti-virus you are going to replace it with.
  • Download any specialized removal tools available from the anti-virus vendor for your current anti-virus in case you need them.
  • Disconnect from the Internet.
  • Uninstall your current anti-virus following vendor's instructions - sometimes uninstalling in safe mode works better.
  • Run the anti-virus vendor's specialized cleanup utility if needed.
  • Reboot normally and install the replacement.
  • Reboot again if prompted to ensure the anti-virus is working properly before reconnecting to the Internet.
  • Connect to the Internet and immediately download the latest definition database updates.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

McAfee recommends you uninstall using the Windows Control Panel before running the MCPR (McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool).

How to uninstall your products using MCPR.exe

Use the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR) to remove data completely for a McAfee Security product installation on a supported Windows operating system. The tool can clean up data from 2005 - 2013 versions of McAfee Security home user products for Windows.

IMPORTANT: You must uninstall your McAfee products using the Windows Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows 8, 7 and Vista) before you run MCPR.

How to uninstall or reinstall McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)

Edit: The first link I provided has been removed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users