Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird VGA cable problem :(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevefennelly

stevefennelly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'm trying to switch my monitor out for my larger TV. I did it before when I realised that both had a VGA input/output. As far as I know the tv worked grand before, I just took out the vga from my monitor & stuck it into the tv. The resolution was the same tho and I couldn't change it for whatever reason.. 

But now, a few months later it won't work. I actually had it working for a few mins the other day but restarted my desktop to be sure it worked on it's own only to be greeted with a series of random multicolored lines with the completely distorted "starting windows" mashed into it. When that goes away it shows "no signal" which stays just like that, although computer continues to start up normally because I can hear Skype opening through my speakers & can just plug in my monitor again without any issues, resuming at my desktop view.

When I start up my computer with my monitor plugged in and try switch it over to the TV when everything is finished starting up, it flashes my desktops screen before going back to no signal. Sometimes it's distorted, coloured weird or completely normal but only ever lasts a second. I can only get the screen flash once every now and then, more often then not it just stays black with "no signal"...

When my VGA cable (old, and the new one I bought to be sure it wasn't the cable) touches mental to metal on either the back of my PC or the VGA port on my TV it emits tiny white sparks, so small it barely heats up the metal but none the less very visible. They don't look dangerous but could indicate the problem.

I've check a lot so far from another forums help and plenty of online posts so these are some of the other stuff I tried...

• My drivers are up to date as far as I know.
  • I've moved the plugs, plugged it into the wall to remove the possibility of the extension lead.
  • Removed all electrical devices from around or in my computer e.g speakers, chargers etc.
  • The TV works fine with my ps3 so it's not broke.
  • VGA cable doesn't work with any other of the 3 tvs in my house with a VGA input.
  • VGA output on my computer works flawlessly with my monitor so I doubt it's that

Bear in mind, I have got it working before so my best guess is it's due to my terrible graphics card "Intel® HD Graphics" overloading or something? I'm not computer tech so if you could help me with any possible theory's, solutions or guesses even.. I'm completely stumped and have no idea where to even go from here.

- Steve

Edited by stevefennelly, 20 October 2014 - 03:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

Sounds like your video card is fried, I would not create those sparks anymore, that can lead to other failures and issues, chances are you are going to need a new motherboard if it is indeed as messed up as it seems.

#3 stevefennelly

stevefennelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

Sounds like your video card is fried, I would not create those sparks anymore, that can lead to other failures and issues, chances are you are going to need a new motherboard if it is indeed as messed up as it seems.

Ye, I considered that but really, I wouldn't even call them sparks they're so small and they only occur when connecting the VGA to a TV and not my monitor? Plus, i've had no issues with it at all other then this.. 

Still think it's just plain ole, fried?

Edit: The computers start up is perfectly normal when my monitor is in, only acts weird when the TV is plugged in.

Edited by stevefennelly, 20 October 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:00 AM

Are you saying that actual sparks are flying off the vga connector when you touch it to the tv? rofl

#5 stevefennelly

stevefennelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

Are you saying that actual sparks are flying off the vga connector when you touch it to the tv? rofl

Wouldn't call them sparks really but a little bit of light is being emitted when I touch the metal of the tv's VGA input to the metal of the vga cable haha, same when the vga is in the back of the tv and I try plug it into the back of my pc...

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:05 AM

Sounds like some kind of electrical short, like static electricity sparking across. I'm guessing it's the tv. I guess there is a proper way to test if the port on the back of the tv has electricity improperly running through it (without the use of a wet finger or something rofl).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users