Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adaware & Spybot; Why No Results?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 help!

help!

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

Hi,
I have xp, newer computer; with mcafee anti virus/firewall

When I open internet explorer (most likely the latest version) and go to tools, internet options,
and I delete cookies, and I delete files (including all offline content), and then I run either adaware or spybot, why don't I ever seem to get anything in the box to remove?

If I run adaware and spybot without doing the deletion in IE, I get results to remove, so I know adaware and spybot are working.

but if IE removes everything that adaware and spybot does by just doing this simple thing, why should we use adaware and spybot?

confused? :thumbsup:

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:18 PM

All that those two programs have found so far is cookies, congratulations. You can block "third party cookies" from installing in IE and Firefox and that is better than allowing them in the first place. Ideally they never find anything. Again, congratulations!!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:24 PM

Hello Help!

When you delete cookies that is all you are doing so to speak.....deleting cookies,not malware or spyware. Some anti-malware products, like Ad-Aware recognise cookies as spyware,which in truth it is and it isnt :thumbsup: What i mean by this is, cookies are recoreded everytime you visit a web site,they remain in your system for faster accessing to pages you have already visited, and because it they note what you have done and where you have been,then they are recognised somtimes as spyware,but they are not really a threat. You can continue to delete cookies the way you do,which is a good thing as it helps to keep the PC that little bit slimmer.

Where programmes like Ad-Aware and Spybot come into power is against the real threats,such as trojan horses and dialers. Now these really are the things that you need your anti-spyware for. So before you run any scans,always remember to update first.

If any other questions, please post them and someone at BC will be happy to help!

Happy browsing :flowers:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#4 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:34 PM

thanks!

someone said I can stop "third party" cookies from installing

not sure how I would do that? how do you do that? :thumbsup:

but if I did that, are they ANY disadvantages other than the speed at which a site will recognize you?

because I vaguely remember maybe trying that a long time ago and it messed something up? or does it cause more problems? or you can't open some site? oh, maybe that was it, I think I got a message I had to allow cookies or something or I couldn't open a site? :flowers:

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

I have never had a problem after blocking third party cookies from loading. There is no noticeable effect as far as speed or the ability to log on to a page. First party cookies are the ones that remember your login info. You don't even need those unless you want to be remembered. Below is the directions:

To block third party cookies in IE: start/control panel/internet options/click privacy tab/click advanced/Click block third party cookies and check override automatic cookie handling/ click OK. In Firefox: tools/options/check cookies tab/check allow sites to set cookies and check "for originating site only"/click OK

Edited by buddy215, 12 June 2006 - 02:51 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

My take on third party cookies (Oh and I do block them in ZoneAlarm)
Let's say you visit a nice site such as this. Around the edges are few ads. Perhaps one is from WidgetCo. Well, WidgetCo might give you a 3rd party cookie. in a way, it might even be a good thing, if Grinler gets .00001 of a penny for your visit. Most of the time, you don't need them. Disable. Some are spyware of sorts, but I don't know anymore details.

#7 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:35 PM

I just realized there were responses in here for me!

thanks so much
I'll go try this....I am new to this stuff still

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users