Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Programs on Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hi,

I just helped my neighbor purchase a new computer. She only uses her machine for email and writing letters, so we bought an Acer Inspire machine that came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled. I know almost nothing about Windows 8. (I use Windows 7).  We figured out how to get the computer to boot to the desktop so it looks more like Windows Vista. I wanted to download a copy of Open Office for her so that she doesn't have to buy Microsoft Office just to write letters. Is program installation on Windows 8.1 basically the same as Vista and 7? In other words...just download the install file to the desktop and then execute it?

Also, what is a good, free, email program that is easy to use. (I use Window Live Mail, myself, but it may have more features than she needs and she doesn't understand "computers" too well).

Thanks,

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

Hi Bob

I like this - IncrediMail,also Mozilla Thunderbird as a email program.

There is also Kingsoft office free smaller and Libre office.Yes they are executable.Download and double click.

Thank you!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:47 PM

You can also download Classic Shell.  This has a desktop which is very similar to Windows 7.  It has a start button which opens a start menu.  There is a task bar and clock like Windows 7 as well,  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

Thank you, gentlemen.

Bob

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

I'd recommend Kingsoft too.  BTW, Kingsoft is now know as WPS Office.  You can get it here: http://www.wps.com/windows/

As for the email client I'd recommend Windows Live Mail.  The layout is clean and intuitive and she doesn't have to know how to use everything.

Classic Shell is also a good recommendation.  It will make Windows 8 (or 8.1) look and function like Windows 7, Vista, or XP.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

My vote is for Thunderbird.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users