Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS laptop stuck in sleep/hibernate mode.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blade09

blade09

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

Hi,my girlfriends laptop seems to be stuck in sleep or hibernation mode.Its running windows vista. She hadnt used it for about a year,then when she tried to use it,it wont do anything.,Ive tried starting it in safe mode,either pressing f8 repeatedly,or holding it down on start-up,but it doesnt work.When it starts up it shows a black screen with the manufacturers name.If i press esc. it comes to this  page Attached File  laptop.jpg   125.15KB   1 downloads .If i press f2 it says entering setup...nothing happens after that. Can anyone help please? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

I would see if replacing the CMOS battery helps. Some CMOS batteries are soldered to the motherboard. What is the model number of the Asus?

You can try the following though. Remove the main battery, unplug the adapter and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power adapter but do not replace the main battery and then press the power button.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 October 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#3 blade09

blade09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:56 PM

Thanks John,i just tried what you said but it didnt make any difference.

#4 blade09

blade09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

The model number is x58L.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:28 PM

Here is the CMOS battery for the x58L. I am not sure how to access it though. I will have to see if there is a teardown guide for the computer.

To see if the problem is not Vista Related you could burn a small linux distro like Puppy and see if it boots to the Puppy Desktop. That would rule out a hardware issue like the CMOS battery. You can burn the iso using WIndows 7 by right clicking the iso and selecting burn image.

Download puppy 5.2.8, middle of page here.

#6 blade09

blade09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for your help John,i'll try it when i have more time.Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users