Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Fan Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hubbardja

Hubbardja

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hey there, so I recently started having some issues with my cpu fan. My problem right now is that when I start my computer up, it makes one beep like it were starting up normally, but then when it continues booting up, it lets out one long beep, followed by three short beeps, and brings me to a screen that reads "CPU Fan Error!", and then allows me to go into my processor and adjust my settings. I have tried re-applying the heat sync (that may not be the right term, I mean the silver liquid that rests between the processor itself and the fan), and I have tried cleaning out the fan. I am running an Intel quad-core 3.4 ghz processor, and have had this issue in the past but was able to fix it by replacing the heat sync. The copper on the fan seems to be stained a mildly darker color in some spots, I don't know if that could be an issue? If anyone has any ideas, that would be greatly appreciated, and if you need anything from me let me know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hi

The error You are seeing is not due to overheating. It is due to the Motherboard not detecting a running CPU fan when the computer is turned on. Is the Fan running?

I have seen this error in HP and Dell computers in the past. The test is to protect the CPU form overheating.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. is the fan plugged into the proper connector on the Motherboard.

Edited by rotor123, 20 October 2014 - 12:48 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 driger8642

driger8642

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:09 PM

Sometimes when you remove the heatsink and fan to apply the thermal paste and you reconnect them, the plug isnt all the way in. In this case, when you put them in, push it more in with a little force. Boot up your comptuer and keep pressing f12 followed by diagnostics. That should check all the plugs are plugged in right or not.

#4 Hubbardja

Hubbardja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

I have tried both of these options, and neither one seems to be the issue. It has now become even more of an issue, in that the computer now just turns on, nothing shows up on screen, and the computer lets out the same kind of beeping as before (1 long, 3 short). Any idea why my screen now displays nothing?

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Hi, Sorry to be late replying.

Normally beeps with no Display mean a problem with memory or the video card.

Easy test if You have more than one memory is to take out all but one piece and test, still beeps and no video, take that one out and try another one. Or if You have both built-in Video and a video card, try using the built-in video by removing the video card.

Make sure the computer is off before trying this.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 23 October 2014 - 02:49 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users