Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My efforts in fixing BSoD when system boots in safe and normal mode.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ArchmageHisummoner

ArchmageHisummoner

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

Greetings and Felicitations!

I have not been here in a while and have negelected to provide help to other users that may be experiencing issues like I have, so here are my efforts to recover my infected computer so others may read and know of it. (Note that this computer is Windows XP which I know is outdated, but I do not have the money to upgrade.)

I was playing a game that I recently reinstalled. I noticed that the game was unusually laggy and would end up crashing unexpectanly after about 10 mins to an hour. Now I have played this game on this computer before in the past and it NEVER did this. I figured something must be up so I scanned the computer with trusty old Malwarebytes and used CCleaner. It found a few things and it removed them successfully. Then after a couple of days, I must of acquired a rootkit and apprently Malwarebytes did not find a rootkit from before (I do not believe I had that option checked). So I began to get strange pop up ads on my computer even while playing a game and not using the internet. I booted into safe mode and had Malwarebytes scan the computer. It found some things and removed them, but then when I restarted the computer it would not boot into normal mode. I decided to reboot back into safe mode, but it would not boot into safe mode either.

I then figured that something must be wrong with one of the system drives. I booted from the windows operating system cd and went into the recovery system. I told it to perform a chkdsk /r and it took about 2 and half minutes maybe 3 hours to complete after it found and repaired all bad sectors. When I tried to start, I still could not boot into either safe or normal mode. I began to panic at this point, and sought help from any online forums or guides on my brother's tablet. A few had a similar issue to me it seemed and I read two topics on both cnet.com and fixitwizkid.com. The cnet forum had a guide to things that could be causing the computer to not boot. It suggested that the boot.ini could corrupted and should be first repaired. I did this by going back into the recovery system and typing in bootcfg /Rebuild. It said it succeeded, but still no luck. I went back and tried to fix the master boot which might of been corrupted with Fixmbr /Device/HardDIsk0; it succeeded, but still no luck. I then went back and finally tried the Fixboot C:\ to fix the supposed corrupted partition. It worked! The computer successfuly booted into normal mode.

But, the computer was still infected with rootkits and or malware as I still got the the strange pop up ads. I read on the fixitwizkid forum that there are rootkits that can delete the boot files or currupt them. I downloaded and installed the TDSSkiller program to scan the system drives and see if any were corrupted. The program reported that all drives were clean. Then I finally downloaded and used combofix. It scanned the computer, restarted, and now the pop ups are gone! The computer appears to be fine now, but I will run Malwarebytes and ESET online scanner to check for anything else. What do you all think?

Edited by ArchmageHisummoner, 20 October 2014 - 11:14 AM.

Sincerely,

Myron Mason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users