Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

looking for inexpensive FTP space

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tab01234

tab01234

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

I am looking for roughly 500 GB to 1 TB of FTP space.  I have 3 computers I would like to back up nightly using FTP.  I have my own client software I like (backup4allprofessionsal) but I would not object to something proprietary if that is required.   Had backups running to my own ftp server, but I lost my home office to a nursery.  I guess the baby takes priority.  

This is for personal use, although I am backing up my church’s data also.

I tried Bitcasa.... but yuck!

Once a week each computer would do a full back up, then every weeknight incremental backups. 

Any ideas?

Edited by tab01234, 20 October 2014 - 08:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:19 AM

Don't mind me asking but why FTP?

For the setup you are describing if you don't want to pay for an online service (there are plenty to choose from) you can purchase a NAS and purchase a copy of Acronis and do all 3 with that.

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/pc-backup/

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#3 tab01234

tab01234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

thanks for the quick reply.  I guess because I cant shake being old school?  Primarily scalability verses price.  I have two other ministries with local computers I may add, considering my Pastor's, othr minor reasons.  I really am just interested in critical data i.e. documents, pictures, .pst files QuickBooks etc. not an entire image.

I also like the availability of encryption on both ends that I control, rather than their proprietary software. I also am still an avid SFTP fan.

I had a Linux box running Red Hat 9 (I know) which I occasionally upgraded and ultimately had 8 GB ram with a TB of space and a static IP.  I used that system for years.

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

Fair enough. I can't think of one but I do know that NAS's today allow them to be Internet accessible. So in theory, lets say you setup a static IP at your home, and a decent firewall you can allow FTP access to the NAS at your home. Can do the same thing with a computer but for large storage and to save on cost I would do a NAS instead with a RAID. 

Just an idea. Sorry I didn't have an answer to the direct question. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#5 tab01234

tab01234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

thanks Ivy, you'd think there would be some server farm out there somewhere with space to lease..... jees  With the new baby I just don't have an extra room to run a server that no one around here would screw with.  kids.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users