Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spysweeper

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

As I recently discovered, Spyware Doctor's trial doesn't appear to expire and allows you to use all of its features except for removing detected spyware with the trial. Now, I'm trying SpySweeper on my newly reformatted Windows XP Professional (Yay! That was one of the sweet sides in the bitter-sweet reformatting). What appears odd to me is that SpySweeper also allows all of its features except removal in its trial and its trial doesn't seem to expire. Since I used SpySweeper before, I remember its trial expiring. Can anyone confirm whether or not SpySweeper's trial expires or is cut off from updates after a certain period of time? FYI: I'm using version 4.5.9.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

Wait what's the point in keeping one of those trials if they don't remove the detected spyware? Is it just for the active guard features? Spyware Doctor can get pretty cumbersome in terms of background processes...I honestly don't know why you'd bother with the trial because it's not an excellent product until you purchase it. That's just my opinion though. I think freeware is a better alternative to the mainstream commercial trials.

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question haha... :thumbsup:
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#3 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:17 PM

Well I have all of the freeware avaliable (Ewido, A-Squared, Spybot, Ad-Aware SE, Spyware Blaster, Spyware Guard, etc.), so SpySweeper or Spyware Doctor are for their shields and extra, more thorough scanning packed in to one program incase I think I'm infected with non-viral malware but want only one, decent diagnostic scan instead of multiple. Also, as mentioned the shields/filters are also a plus and I like using them rather than a company firewall as opposed to Windows Firewall. In regards to not being able to remove the malware, I have killbox. Merely copy & paste the location and everything is bye-bye. :thumbsup:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users