Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Pain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Weenex

Weenex

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:21 AM

My dilemma is: I bought this reconditioned Dell Optiplex gx620 desktop from Rakuten. It was supposed to come ready to use with a Wxp disk. They sent me a disk without a key. I used a key finder online and it says it is not a valid key when I enter it. Maybe they sent me a counterfeit disk? Every 30 days I have to re-install it so I can use this thing. Rakuten never would resolve the issue for me and just said that Wxp was being phased out. I contacted Dell and they said the warranty is expired and I need to buy a new disk from somebody else. I am tired of re-installing this disk over & over...so, who is the most reliable source to buy a genuine Wxp disk from?  I just primarily use my computer to watch Youtube and some web surfing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:51 AM

I think the only place you can buy it is amazon or ebay, and how reliable it is would obviously depend on who is selling it there.

If all you do is youtube and web, you could try Linux Mint 17 (or possibly 13) instead. You burn the iso and then boot to it. It will run the OS without actually installing it, so you can see if it works with your hardware or not, and then if it does you can install it for real.

#3 Weenex

Weenex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

I think the only place you can buy it is amazon or ebay, and how reliable it is would obviously depend on who is selling it there.

If all you do is youtube and web, you could try Linux Mint 17 (or possibly 13) instead. You burn the iso and then boot to it. It will run the OS without actually installing it, so you can see if it works with your hardware or not, and then if it does you can install it for real.

yes, I did buy a Linux disk and I couldn't get back on the internet, guess some conflict with my wifi adapter(?) Suppose I'll have to buy a wxp disk from one of the sources you mention. Thanks for the reply!

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

Yeah I had a problem with my wifi card too, I had to buy a new one that linux supports properly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users