, welcome to one of the few forums I know of that is a nice mix of Chat, serious security-related work
, supplemental instruction, games , news & a live chatroom, too. My opinions are;
- chatrooms can be educational
- a valuable tool for real-time discussion of "work-related" issues
- a great place to have fun & share humor
- better than a telephone in some ways - a little slower, but it tends to stretch ones abilities to communicate
- an education itself in using the features
- a good place to practice typing
- a valuable sales tool when used by companies to sell products or service/support what they sell
- they can be frustrating due to limitations regarding when to use them, and whose there at the time you have to use them
- sometimes hectic and chaotic when several conversations are going at once (although often enough that alone is humorous)
- generally the technology of IRC channels & web-based Chat is quite good
- although some quirks can be annoying like the nick registration
- D.O.S. attacks can be a problem under certain circumstances
- some chat rooms might put the rest rooms at a old filling station out near the desert above them in cleanliness
- the majority do not have a filth problem, but I have experienced some with organization problems
- some moderators can effectively shun some users with attitude
- so, human nature factors are not written out of the chatroom experience s
- finally, it does take a little time to become well versed in the rules/procedure/ettiquette if your goin' "get into it"
- but casual use now n' then is flat out cool to do.
Is that what ya' meant by OPINIONS?
BTW, Id be very grateful if you'd add something to this endless story...page 10
as I'm stuck in a chat room of sorts and haven't been able to get out.
Edited by phawgg, 26 November 2004 - 06:00 AM.