Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Live chat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chelle

Chelle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 26 November 2004 - 05:24 AM

Hi. Joining the chat today as part of my reseach on synchronous and asynchronous communication for a computer course I'm taking. If anyone has time to give me their opinion on use of live chat forums I'd be very grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 26 November 2004 - 05:55 AM

Hi. Chelle, welcome to one of the few forums I know of that is a nice mix of Chat, serious security-related work, supplemental instruction, games , news & a live chatroom, too. My opinions are;
  • chatrooms can be educational
  • a valuable tool for real-time discussion of "work-related" issues
  • a great place to have fun & share humor
  • better than a telephone in some ways - a little slower, but it tends to stretch ones abilities to communicate
  • an education itself in using the features
  • a good place to practice typing
  • a valuable sales tool when used by companies to sell products or service/support what they sell
  • they can be frustrating due to limitations regarding when to use them, and whose there at the time you have to use them
  • sometimes hectic and chaotic when several conversations are going at once (although often enough that alone is humorous)
  • generally the technology of IRC channels & web-based Chat is quite good
  • although some quirks can be annoying like the nick registration
  • D.O.S. attacks can be a problem under certain circumstances
  • some chat rooms might put the rest rooms at a old filling station out near the desert above them in cleanliness
  • the majority do not have a filth problem, but I have experienced some with organization problems
  • some moderators can effectively shun some users with attitude
  • so, human nature factors are not written out of the chatroom experience s
  • finally, it does take a little time to become well versed in the rules/procedure/ettiquette if your goin' "get into it"
  • but casual use now n' then is flat out cool to do.
Is that what ya' meant by OPINIONS? :thumbsup: BTW, Id be very grateful if you'd add something to this endless story...page 10 as I'm stuck in a chat room of sorts and haven't been able to get out. :flowers:

Edited by phawgg, 26 November 2004 - 06:00 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Chelle

Chelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
:thumbsup:

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 26 November 2004 - 09:49 AM

Welcome to BC!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users