Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on but no display

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dizzog

dizzog

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

Hi everyone I'm new and not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I kind of need some advice on a problem I have/had. I bought an OEM computer about a year ago that recently stopped working last week. One night I turned it off to go to bed and the next morning it would no longer boot properly; I didn't do or notice anything out of the ordinary prior to this. Despite turning on, I didn't hear any beeps or anything and there's no display signal to the monitor. I switched out several cables and computers and found out the monitor was working okay.

The computer is an HP Envy h8 PC Series, Model No. H8-1419 running Windows 8/8.1.

So I decided to peek around inside and saw that all the fan/lights were running. I then followed some guides and disconnected everything but the CPU, GPU, PSU and RAM. Since the DVI ports were blocked off on my motherboard, I hooked the GPU to a monitor and the screen said "no boot disc has been detected or the boot disc has failed". I then tried randomly switching out my RAM sticks but nothing changed. Thinking that ruled out motherboard/GPU issues, I did a memory test using the HP software tool and it came up fine, ruling out RAM as well.

The strange thing was, when I tried reconnecting my hard drive, Windows gave me a loading/boot error and asked to either restart or troubleshoot advanced options. I did the former and now my computer is working again, which also ruled out the CPU.

So I guess my question is: I didn't really fix the problem, it kind of fixed itself; unfortunately I have no idea what the problem even was or if it'll come up again and I'd appreciate it if someone can give me some advice on what to do next?  Could it be the power supply or a hard drive failure?  I'm afraid the computer will just die again in a few days or something and want to take steps to prevent that.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by dizzog, 19 October 2014 - 11:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:50 AM

Re-seating cables and other components is a common first step in hardware troubleshooting. Often they will come loose or get tiny amounts of oxidization in the connections that prevents them from functioning correctly.

My guess (which is as good as yours) is that you really did solve the problem, but if it occurs again there's plenty of knowledgeable people here willing to lend a hand.

It is possible you may have a hard drive problem, but I really wouldn't put too much into that at the moment. (especially as you have all your important data already backed up, right?)

TsVk!

#3 dizzog

dizzog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

I actually don't have my data backed up, but I'm going to do that as soon as I get a backup drive later this week!

I also did a Seatools scan of my hard drive and it said everything is okay, so I don't think the problem is with the hard drive.

I guess it's just bugging me because I don't know what the problem was and if it'll occur again.  If anyone can provide any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  If not though, I guess I can let this thread die.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

I've reseated plenty of components and suddenly seen non-working computers spring back to life. It's not as common an issue as the power cable not being plugged in properly though. (seriously, this happens all the time)

Don't worry mate.

TsVk!

#5 dizzog

dizzog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Alright, I'll trust you on this one TsVk!

Thanks for your help :)

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

:welcome:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users