Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Sure If Virus Is Gone, Too Many Internet Explorers, Tasks Being Hidden

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jaketiger1116

jaketiger1116

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

I will address the current issue before giving the backstory, just in case the other information isn't relevant (also Windows 7 since I know that helps).

I first noticed that when shutting down my computer, I would see dozens of windows of Internet Explorer pop up after Windows Explorer had shut down and the screen was about to go to the "Shutting Down..." screen. More recently I have noticed that when I open up Task Manager, I see twenty or thirty processes for Internet Explorer, that disappear after about a second and a half. Same for the tasks. Except in the Tasks, it hides everything. Which is sort of annoying. I first noticed this while at my friend's house over the weekend, who has no Internet access. Now that I am home, they are more obvious because I'll hear audio playing. Two or three mix at a time, I guess the rest don't load. I don't know what they are, they almost sound like trailers for TV shows or something. I found out I could stop them by going into the Resource Monitor, where they do show up. 

Okay, so the backstory. I used to get a problem with dllhost.exe eating up memory like crazy, which I read was some video thumbnail problem, not a virus. Just a restart was all I needed to fix it. And it was fine, for months. A few days ago, it became something entirely different. Instead of one, there were dozens. Ending them all only resulted in peace for maybe ten to fifteen minutes. I figured out that ending one of the smaller ones only using ~7,000 K would remove the rest, as opposed to tackling all the large ones first, using ~30,000 K. They were all dllhost.exe *32, with COM Surrogate in the description. Even if I ended them all, one remained just called dllhost.exe, without the COM Surrogate in the description, that gave me an Access Denied error if I tried to end it. It always used about 40,000 K. My friend gave me a fix that involved deleting all of my saved Internet access points from the Network and Sharing Center. This only worked for a couple of hours the first time, but the last time I did it, maybe a day and a half ago, seems to have worked.

I also noticed that pesky Cryptowall virus encrypting stuff in my desktop folders. As far as I know I've not lost anything important (thankfully). I ran Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware a few times over the past couple of days, deleting all the "Severe" threats when they displayed. When I took my computer to my friend's house, he helped me look for weird files in places like my AppData folder. I have a test folder with a text document on my desktop, it hasn't been encrypted so I'm hoping the Cryptowall thing is done with.

Also I have noticed silly processes such as FlashUpdater.exe and ChromeUpdate.exe, but ending them gave me Access Denied errors and clicking "Show File Location" caused nothing to happen. I haven't seen one of those since I supposedly fixed things, but I do still have things like this show up:

210yno8.png

Anyway, it's been a few days, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. This is my first post here, so let me know if I've left out anything important you need to know. I really want to get rid of those random Internet Explorer windows that are hiding, they really decrease performance (my laptop overheated the first time I tried writing this, and while it has a weak fan and is prone to overheating, it only ever happens when I'm playing really resource-intensive video games, so). I also would like to know if there are better ways to figure out if I've really eradicated some of the stuff that I thought I did, or heck, what all is still going on on my computer anyway. Your help is much appreciated, thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users