Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Recover My Files?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dntcarenyny21

dntcarenyny21

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:00 PM

Hello, 

With my computer being broken I wanted to recover some files off my old computer. And What kind of reader would i need to recover the files from my hard drive. And if possible could you provide a link for me. I really want to recover my files. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

We need the make/model of the failed PC to give effective advice.

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:11 AM

Booting to a linux cd and then backing your files up to a usb stick, Or, taking the hard drive out of the machine and sticking it in one of these

#4 dntcarenyny21

dntcarenyny21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

Compaq Presario cq56

Edited by dntcarenyny21, 21 October 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:11 PM

When you say broken, do you mean it will not boot to windows or the computer does not boot at all? If the computer does boot you can use a linux distro as bludshot suggested. I like Puppy linux because it is small and does the job. Here is a guide on it's use. Do not bother doing the disk check.

If the computer does not boot then you would need to remove the drive and place it in an external enclosure, attach it to another desktop computer internally, or use a USB adapter.

#6 dntcarenyny21

dntcarenyny21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

broken as in the screen has detached from the keyboard....... :/ and when you turn on the computer the screen is gray.......and stays that way the whole time the computer is on. and you cant see anything on the screen and i was wonder if i was better off buying an external enclosure. and with the one in the link that is shown in JohnC_21 can you put your computer hard drive in it? or would i be better off buying the one that bludshot is saying.....?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

Bludshot's link looks like it would be a little easier to use. I have used the one I linked to and have had no problems but you need to be careful not to touch the HDD circuit board no matter which one you decide on. Bludshot's also works on Windows 7. I have used the USB adapter on XP. I would have to confirm if it works on Windows 7 but I don't know why it would not.

Edit: I would go with bludshot's link.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 October 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#8 dntcarenyny21

dntcarenyny21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

Okay. I may sound a little slow on this but what is a HDD circuit board?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

Its the green board with the electrical components on it.

underneath_a_hard_drive.jpg

Key to Illustration of Hard Drive PCB:
  1. Electrical connections to platter motor.
  2. Microprocessor chip.
  3. Programmable flash memory chip (stores the PCB portion of the drive’s firmware-see below).
  4. Platter motor controller chip.
  5. S-ATA data connector (the connection between the hard drive and the outside world).
  6. S-ATA power connector (as the name suggests, provides the drive with DC power).

#10 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:36 AM

You don't have to get the exact one I linked (I have no experience with it), but, my point was A product like that. I showed you that one because it supports SATA and IDE, and I don't know how old your computer is (older computers have IDE drives). The one I own only supports SATA (sadly).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users