Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ViweSonic VG2427 Not Detecting Signal at Native Resolution

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 soundblastdj

soundblastdj

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hello,

I bought a ViewSonic VG2427 today at a flea market and was told that it wasn't displaying HD.  At the time, I thought that that was managable because my other monitors weren't HD.  It was super cheap and pretty big, so I bought it.  When I came home and replaced my center monitor (out of a 3 monitor setup) on my mac pro with it, I was disappointed to find out that "not displaying HD" meant that the highest resolution that it would display was 1360 x 768, which looks absolutely terrible on this screen who's native resolution is 1920 x 768. 

This was the only resolution that it would display, depsite there being three other options available.  I scoured the internet to the best of my ability, but I can't find much information on this monitor.  I also called ViewSonic tech support and they were of absolutely no help.  I made sure that the refresh rate was set to 60 Hz, as stated in the instructions and I tried both VGA and DVI connections.  Nothing fixed it, and I'd really like to get this working. 

Has anybody else seen or had this problem before? I couldn't find anything about the monitor, much less anybody else with the same problem.

Here's a screenshot of the monitor settings pannel in system preferences. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3d3scl6fttz6vy/Screenshot%202014-10-19%2020.45.07.png?dl=0

P.S. This is my first time posting something here, is there a way of posting pictures, rather than giving a link? Thanks

Edited by soundblastdj, 19 October 2014 - 07:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:59 AM

Here's the page with drivers for that screen... sorry, none of them seem to be for Mac. http://www1.viewsonic.com/products/archive/vg2427wm.htm .

#3 soundblastdj

soundblastdj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:22 AM

Here's the page with drivers for that screen... sorry, none of them seem to be for Mac. http://www1.viewsonic.com/products/archive/vg2427wm.htm .

When I called tech support, they told me that while they don't have mac drivers on their site, there might be mac drivers available elsewhere and they would give me a case number to see if somebody "higher up" could give me an answer.  I highly doubt that they would have drivers for mac if they aren't on their site, but it's worth a shot I guess.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:40 AM

It should be able to handle up to 75Hz at 1920x1080. If not, seems like the scaler is faulty. Not sure what chance there'd be of getting a scaler PCB, here in Australia it'd be nil...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 OzJohn

OzJohn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hi mate, the monitor may very well support the higher resolutions but does your computer graphics card actually support the 1920 x 768 resolution? And of course the other thing, are there drivers for your computers graphics card to support the higher resolution?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

does your computer graphics card actually support the 1920 x 768 resolution?

I suspect this is a typo for 1920 x 1080, which is shown on offer in the preferences.

#7 OzJohn

OzJohn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

I think it's showing what the monitor can handle not necessarily what the computer can support. I've had the same problem with some people's computers when they go to a much larger moniter, the video card on several machines just didn't support the high resolution needed for the monitor.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

Since the video card reports to the driver what resolutions it's capable of, that shouldn't happen unless specific action is taken to make unsupported resolutions available, but yes we should allow that as a possibility. As far as I can tell, a Mac Pro should support 1080p at 60Hz.

Edited by Platypus, 20 October 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#9 soundblastdj

soundblastdj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

Even if my mac can't display at 1080p, the monitor won't display anything other than 1360x768, even lower resolutions. 1368x768 is the only one that works.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

If it won't display lower resolutions either, then I'd say its scaler chip is faulty.

#11 soundblastdj

soundblastdj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

If it won't display lower resolutions either, then I'd say its scaler chip is faulty.

I'll have to see if I can fix that. I've got to fix the other monitor that I posted about too still.

#12 soundblastdj

soundblastdj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

I've got the thing apart, and inside of the metal backing, there are 3 boards.  One is the power board with the audio connector (far left), one has the inputs (middle), and one is the USB hub (far right).  Besides that, there is only the board on the back of the panel, which I am assuming is not the board that I'm looking for, and the buttons, which, again, I'm assuming is not something that I need to worry about.  There comes the question, what am I looking for?

Picture:

http://puddingcow.com/?attachment_id=769

Is this the board that I need to replace/fix?

http://puddingcow.com/?attachment_id=768

Edited by soundblastdj, 20 October 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#13 soundblastdj

soundblastdj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:28 PM

I have no idea if this is helpful, but using VGA, I got it to display 1600x900, something that DVI wouldn't do.  I also got it to show up as a "Generic VGA Monitor" by using a VGA switch and that brought me closer to 1920x1080, but I couldn't quite get there.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

The scaler is the large video processing chip on the board carrying the inputs. Manufacturers give that board different names, Viewsonic might call it the scaler PCB, but it could be the input PCB (e.g. Acer/Benq), the mainboard or signal PCB. The scaler function accepts the multiple possible input resolutions and adapts or scales them to correctly fit the fixed LCD panel resolution.

Is it possible to use the monitor on a good working Windows installation with suitable Windows driver from Viewsonic, just to confirm what the monitor can and cannot display? That would eliminate any uncertainty regarding what might be a Mac limitation due to lack of monitor driver. We're assuming that since the monitor was sold as having such a fault that it actually does, but I suppose there's a slight possibility the previous owner might also have used it on a Mac...

Edited by Platypus, 20 October 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#15 soundblastdj

soundblastdj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

I don't have enough time to check right now and I have school tomorrow, but in the evening, I'll pull my Dell Vostro out and hook it up and see what happens.  I only hope that I have a hard drive that already had windows installed.  That would make things so much easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users