Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:53 AM

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble getting Windows to start up properly. Yesterday I turn on my machine and noticed it took a VERY long time for windows to complete it's start up process. Once finished I noticed that several of my shortcut icons were blank, and no longer worked. I started up windows explorer and found that my D:\ was missing. This is while looking at the 'My Computer' page.

I rebooted my machine, and waited for the start up process to finish, opened explorer and noticed that the listing for my D:\ had returned, but there was no information listed under either of the columns 'Total Size' & 'Free Space'.

Not knowing what to do, and having to leave, I shut down the machine. When I started the machine today Windows started up normally, but I can't get the taskbar to come up. I have tried it on all of the logins that I have, and it's the same with each log in. The desktop comes up, but there is no taskbar (no it's not hidden). I also can not get Windows explorer to open, so I have no way of knowing if the D:\ is there or not, I'm assuming it is not. Just in case your wondering how I am trying to open Windows explorer, I am using the hotkey combo (Windows key + E).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get all of this fixed?

Thank you in advanced,

Jim
These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:59 AM

Correction -- Windows does not boot up normally, it still takes a log time, especially from the Window's XP splash screen.

#3 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:02 PM

Oh one more thing, the BIOS does still see this drive, and during the bootup, the drive is detected.

Edited by OS_Challenged, 12 June 2006 - 12:02 PM.

#4 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

So I think I have found something, in fact I'm pretty sure of it. I started up Partition Magic via Task Manager, and found that the D:\ partition had somehow changed to a F:\, or should I say the drive letters changed.

Has anyone got any idea how this could have happened? I did load new software, a game (store bought, not downloaded) and created a new user account, but I really can't see how that could have caused this to happen.

Thanks,

Jim

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

First of all, how much physical memory do you have, and second, how much disk space do you have? When is the last time you defragged your drive? Have you added anything even temporarily, like an external drive?

#6 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:40 PM

I have 1 gig Ram, which is all detected during boot up, C:\ have about 6GB free space, and D:\ about 32GB.

The last defrag was about 2 weeks ago, I have a reminder set to remind me to do it, I have to or I would do it about once every other year. :thumbsup:

No hardware of any sort has been added.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users