Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't start, black screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 slimx7

slimx7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hello!

I've recently been having trouble getting Windows 7 to boot normally on my desktop. Whenever I turn on my computer I see the Windows starting screen and then it hangs at a black screen. There are no error messages, it's just a blank black screen. I can boot into Safe Mode just fine. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1. I've tried Startup Repair, Last Known Good Configuration, updating drivers and none of those fixed it. I ran a disc check in the System Recovery command prompt twice and both times it hangs for several hours with the message "Correcting error in index $I30 for file 854912." 

Someone advised me that this could mean a failing HDD. I know very little about hard drives so I wanted to get another opinion to see if that is truly the case or if there are other options I could explore before having to replace the HDD.

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:38 AM

Probably a failing hard drive.

[edit: Well, I should say Back up your files first,]

Run gsmartcontrol and do the short test (don't do the long test, because it would be better to backup your files first before stressing the drive) and look at the SMART info on there. That will tell you if the drive is failing.

Then, if it is failing, first backup any files you don't want to lose, then, if it's a seagate drive, burn the iso of seatools for dos and burn it to a cd and boot to the cd. From there you can "repair" the drive, but keep in mind the drive is no longer trustworthy (assuming it is actually failing), this "repair" just hides the broken sectors of the drive basically, so windows will run better. Then the drive will either keep getting worse, or be ok for a long time (no way to know).

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

If the computer runs properly in Safe Mode you can probably rule out the problem being a failing hdd.

Please boot into Safe Mode with Networking and do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post,

I would like for you to run a Clean boot to determine if there is a Service or Startup item causing this.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  I repeat, by disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot this means that there is a Service which is causing this proble, continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

When you are finished using the Clean Boot go back to System Configuration and click on the General, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 slimx7

slimx7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I have another problem that prevents me from even using safe mode. I accidently scheduled a disk check on startup and I can't disable it. Now whenever I attempt to boot into safe mode the screen freezes. I tried re-installing windows but it didn't help. Is there a way to disable the chkdsk? I'd like to get that sorted out so I can give you my computer specs in safe mode.

Edited by slimx7, 20 October 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#5 slimx7

slimx7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:08 PM

I've managed to solve the chkdsk problem. After re-installing windows I was able to boot normally again, but I'm afraid to do anything else.

Here are my specs from Speccy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TgsIJzj1Gu6TDX34w7IU5pF

and here are the results from MiniToolBox

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 21-07-2014
Ran by Jim (administrator) on 20-10-2014 at 21:14:05
Running from "C:\Users\Jim\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (10/20/2014 08:42:37 PM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

System errors:
=============

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (10/20/2014 08:42:37 PM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

=========================== Installed Programs ============================
Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver (HKLM-x32\...\{E4FB0B39-C991-4EE7-95DD-1A1A7857D33D}) (Version: 1.10.0.0 - Asmedia Technology)
Google Chrome (HKLM-x32\...\Google Chrome) (Version: 38.0.2125.104 - Google Inc.)
Google Update Helper (x32 Version: 1.3.25.5 - Google Inc.) Hidden
Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver (HKLM-x32\...\{8833FFB6-5B0C-4764-81AA-06DFEED9A476}) (Version: 7.44.421.2011 - Realtek)
Speccy (HKLM\...\Speccy) (Version: 1.26 - Piriform)
Steam (HKLM-x32\...\Steam) (Version: 2.10.91.91 - Valve Corporation)

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 17%
Total physical RAM: 8138.44 MB
Available physical RAM: 6677.96 MB
Total Pagefile: 16275.08 MB
Available Pagefile: 14805.54 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3982.62 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: (Windows) (Fixed) (Total:558.81 GB) (Free:191.11 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: (System) (Fixed) (Total:0.1 GB) (Free:0.06 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\JIM-PC

Administrator            Guest                    Jim                      

========================= Minidump Files ==================================

No minidump file found

**** End of log ****

Edited by slimx7, 20 October 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:23 AM

Now that you have reinstalled windows are the issues still happening?

#7 slimx7

slimx7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

Now that you have reinstalled windows are the issues still happening?

Yeah, I tried booting normally again today and it got stuck at the windows starting screen again. It seemed fine before Windows installed updates again. I'm not sure if that's related to the problem.

Edited by slimx7, 21 October 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

Please run chkdsk /r

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

Click on the Start orb and type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.  Please notice the space between the chkdsk and the /r.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users