Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to separate networks.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kenmc

Kenmc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hi,

I hope I can ask this question simply. I have been asked to administer a computer network for a Christian school that has two campuses. There are 32 computers in the computer lab and another 30 computers for teachers and administration at one campus. The network was down and I had to troubleshoot the problem. There were two problems The modem/router was connected to a 4 port router and from there, it went to switches. The router was bad and there was a computer in the computer lab that had to be disconnected. To get everyone back on the network and working I connected the modem/router to the switch and that changed the IP address to 10.1.10.x. The other campus was already wired that way so I left this one the same way. The computer lab has a router that changes the IP Address to 192.168.11.x. I'm trying to make sure that the computer lab is separate from the rest of the computers in the building. I can see that when I search for network attached printers I can't find any, but I can ping them. The main thing I'm trying to prevent is a student from getting a computer in the lab infected and spreading to the teachers network. I was under the impression that if you can't "see" what's connected to the other network, you can't harm it. I'm not so sure now that I know that I can ping it. I would really like to separate the computer lab.

Is there anything I can do to absolutely separate the two networks. I do know which Ethernet cable runs back to the computer lab. Money is a real issue here, so I can't spend very much at all. There are other issued that I would like to discuss too.

Thanks,

Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

Best way to separate the two is to put in a managed switch and create vlans, one for the students and one for the administration.

I am not following your description.  You went from a bad router to one that changed the subnet.  Does that mean you replaced the router?  If so you would have been wise to have set the lan to the same ip address range it was before.  Otherwise you may find you have ip conflicts, servers aren't accessible and you can't logon to your switches assuming they are managed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users