Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New RAM installed, detected by Systems Info...but still slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bender1111

Bender1111

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

I just upgraded my RAM from 2 GBs to 4 after putting in a second stick. Systems Info detected it so I thought I was A-Okay.

Problem is...I play Minecraft. You can allocate more Memory to the game using JVM Arguments. When I try to put say 1500 MBs (Like 1.5 GB), the client crashes. Looking at Task Manager's peformance menu it shows this with just Opera browser open:

Total: 3582

Cached: 2034

Available: 2503

Free: 507

Only 507?? That does NOT seem right. I also see 1.05 GBs in this little visual window and the CPU Usage meter spiking up to around 35% when I type. Again, does not seem right considering the amount I just put in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:07 AM

Quite often RAM needs to be exactly matched. Same part number and same batch number. This means you need to buy a matched set of two, 2GB sticks of RAM.

#3 Bender1111

Bender1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:17 AM

Nope

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:59 AM

Do you have a graphics card or is onboard graphics sharing the ram?

When you show all processes from all users, and sort by memory used, what do you see (what programs are using how much ram)?

#5 Bender1111

Bender1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

I have an aftermarket graphics card I had with my old but same model computer

I see

svchost 219K (I see like 6 of these actually
MPSigStub 175k (Okay it just dissapeared)

The rest are like less than 20k of stuff like programs I installed

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:48 AM

Ah, I'm looking at the performance window right now on my machine and it makes no sense at all! lol

I have 8 gigs, and it says I'm using 3.5 gigs (I'm not), and it says I have 60 megs free when I'm doing almost nothing with the computer. The problem is not your ram, it's that this performance window makes no sense. I think the problem is that it's not actually saying those things, it's saying something else like that it has allocated 3.5 gigs to use on a moments notice or something like that. We just don't know what it IS trying to say (how to read this window).

So forget about the task manager and focus on your minecraft issue. I would post on a minecraft support forum or whatever minecraft has for support, they probably know what's up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users