Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with Boot Order

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 morrjt

morrjt

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

I recently purchased a Samsung SSD to make my boot drive on my desktop. Prior to the purchase, I had a 2 TB HDD in the machine. I reinstalled Windows 7 onto the SSD, with the prior HDD unplugged. Following the install, I plugged back in the HDD to the mobo and went into BIOS to change boot order. BIOS had automatically had Windows Boot Manager (P5: Toshiba - my HDD) as the first one. I moved my SSD to number one and booted the computer, which subsequently booted from the HDD. The only way for me to boot from SSD is to Boot Override in BIOS. Does anybody have any ideas of how to permenately boot from SSD without having to manually override it or will I need to reformat my HDD to delete Windows from it? Any help is appreciated. My BIOS is Gigabyte Z87X-HD3 v. F2.

I also just noticed the label "UEFI" above Windows Boot Manager. I know a little about UEFI but do not understand it completely. I'm assuming that has something to do with the problem...

Edited by morrjt, 19 October 2014 - 05:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

I do know that if Windows is on a UEFI computer, it will not boot if a second hard drive has an extended partition on it. I don't know if that is your case though. Download EasyBCD. From that you should be able to select the Bootloader on the SSD and disable the one on the secondary drive. See if that works.

#3 morrjt

morrjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I downloaded EasyBCD and it says it only detects one entry in the Windows bootloader, which is C:/ (my SSD but was my HDD before I upgraded). So i deleted this file and added a new entry to my C:/ drive. Unfortunately, this did not work as my computer automatically boots to my HDD. EasyBCD does not recognize any files from the E:/ drive (my HDD), so I am not sure how to delete it from the original HDD. Any thoughts?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

This computer will only boot to the HDD when the SSD is attached? With the computer booted open disk management. Is there a 100MB system reserved partition on the HDD? I think you will see that it is marked Active. Is there a 100MB system reserved partition on the SSD? You can be sure if the HDD has the active System Reserved Partition by doing the following.

Type CMD in the Search Box > Right click Run as Administrator. At the command prompt type Diskpart  -  This will not work if the disk is GPT. You will see a * under GPT if is is a GPT disk

Then the following commands

list disk

Select disk x     where x is the number assigned to the HDD

list partition         this will list the partitions

select partition x    where x is the number of the 100MB system partition

detail partition       The output will show if the partition is active or not.

Do the same commands for the SSD. I believe you will see that the SSD 100MB partition is not listed as active but I may be wrong.

#5 morrjt

morrjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

So I went through the command prompts as you detailed. Unfortunately, the HDD is a GPT disk, so I do not know if that is the problem. However, when I ran through the prompts on the SSD the 100 MB partition was active.

#6 morrjt

morrjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

When I go to Disk Management, here are my two drives and their partition:

SSD: 1.) System Reserved (F:/) 100 MB NTFS - Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

2.) 238.38 GB NTFS - Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

HDD: 1.) 300 MB - Healthy (Recovery Partition)

2.) 99 MB - Healthy (EFI System Partition)

3.) 1862.50 GB NTFS - Healthy (Primary Partition)

Edited by morrjt, 21 October 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:51 PM

When you disconnect the HDD from the computer does the the SSD boot to the OS?

#8 morrjt

morrjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

Yes it does. Also the "Windows Boot Manager" disappears from BIOS when the HDD is disconnected.

I was trying to avoid reformatting the HDD to delete the existing partitions as I have quite a bit on there. However, if nothing else works, do you think that will solve the problem?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

You can try the following. Only delete the EFI system partition on the HDD drive. If you cannot do that using Disk Management download the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Burn the iso file and delete the 99MB EFI sytem partition. I would backup the 99MB efi system partiton to an external flash or hard drive using something like Macrium Free which you would install on the SSD. 

Edit: If you use Partition Wizard you will also see a 128MB partition which is the Microsoft Reserved Partition, something required on a GPT disk. That can be deleted also if everything works after deleting the 99MB EFI system partiton. You could back this partition up at the same time you backup the EFI partition using Macrium Free.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 October 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#10 morrjt

morrjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hello,

I did what you described and it worked! I REALLY appreciate your time and effort in helping me resolve this problem. Thank you and take care!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,950 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

Your Welcome. Glad it worked for you and thank your for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users