Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie-spyad

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jaeluuc

jaeluuc

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:34 AM

Sorry if this is a 'no-brainer' for most of you :thumbsup:

I am finishing up with my layers of protection, and see IE-Spyad recommended by many...

I am using Mozilla Firefox, but have noticed that with some things Internet Explorer is automatically used.

I am totally confused about the 'tabs' some of the posts mentioned in regards to Moz. & IE.

So I am humbly asking;

1) Should I get the program?

2) Do I need to do anything special about the 'tabs' or 'settings'? (if so, please use 'beginner-speak')

Thank you for your time and help! :flowers:

Jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:22 PM

I use Firefox most of the time but sometimes still use IE so it is a good practice to use various tools that are available - i.e. Spywareblaster, IE-SPYAD, etc...

IE-SPYAD is for Internet Explorer. It is used to add a extensive list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites Zone. Once you merge the list into the Registry, the web sites for these companies will not be able to use cookies, ActiveX controls, Java applets, or scripting to compromise your privacy or your PC while you surf the Net. Nor will they be able to use your browser to push unwanted pop-ups, cookies, or auto-installing programs on your PC.
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm

IE-SPYAD users should consider using IE-SPYAD for ZonedOut. The new version uses the free ZonedOut security zones utility from FunkyToad to load and unload Restricted sites lists, making the management of sites in the Restricted sites zone much easier and more convenient.

http://www.funkytoad.com/zonedout.htm

Note: If you use Spybot, SpywareBlaster and IE-SPYAD together, there is an overlap of some of the protection offered. If you undo or disable the protection in one product, it may remove some of the protection installed by the other. You should re-immunize or re-enable the protection in the other products as appropriate.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:19 PM

Thank you quietman7 for responding!

Please, just to clarify:

Do I do both - IE-Spyad and funkytoad?

Do I do anything special about the 'tabs' or extentions I've seen mentioned?

Thanks!

Jennifer

ps. I was hoping you'd be the one to answer me, from what I've been reading you seemed the most up on it.
:thumbsup: and I like your way with people :flowers:
New Beginner
Windows XP

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:00 PM

Yes you will use both. ZonedOut is the program from Funkytoad that you use but the actually lists are contained in IE-SPYAD which are imported into ZoneOut. See the IE-SPYAD tutorial here.

There will be a readme file with instructions on how to import/export that is created in the same folder where ZonedOut is installed.

Do I do anything special about the 'tabs' or extentions I've seen mentioned?

I'm not sure I understand what your referring to here. Can you provide the link or more ino on what you want to do? Or are you just talking about the various extentions available doe download and use in Firefox?

#5 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

Dear quietman7,

I appreciate you getting back to me, I'll get those two going as soon as I read the information :thumbsup:

Part of my problem is that I know so little, I sometimes don't know how to ask.....

I've read so much these past weeks! I've spotted it in several places....

One of them I was able to tract down again at Tech Support Guy forum -
It got so technical, and so many people started adding their information that I got overwhelmed -

Here is a quote from the beginning of that posting - do I need to give credit to the author?

"Those of you who use Firefox and realize that many things that required Internet Explorer won't work in Firefox browser have something new to play with....IE Tab extension is out, and it works very well. It allows pages that would not work in Firefox to use IE functions within Firefox now!"

Hope this gives you a clue to what I was talking about.

Thanks again!

Jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

Those of you who use Firefox and realize that many things that required Internet Explorer won't work in Firefox browser have something new to play with....IE Tab extension

That is correct. However, some of these features are provided via what Firefox calls extensions. You can learn about what they are, what they do and how to install them by reading Firefox Add-ons. Firefox tutorials and help can be found here.

IE Tab extension allows embedding Internet Explorer in tabs of Firefox. This permits you to use IE via Firefox without actually opening the IE browser.

#7 jaeluuc

jaeluuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:40 PM

Quietman7, once again you're a hero!

I will be busy reading and learning! I've come a long way but still have far to go - :thumbsup:

Thank you so very much to you, the tutorials and the great group here!

Jennifer
New Beginner
Windows XP

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

Your welcome Jennifer