Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failure to boot, blank screen after POST screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gghar1

gghar1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

I have a Win XP Home edition that fails to boot; the POST screen loads, then a choice of operating system configurations (see later), and selecting  one of them (the last on the list) returns can’t find hal.dll.

The other two options, one of which I have set up in the course of trying to sort this out, both end up with a blank screen.

Safe mode hangs up in the middle of the driver list.

The problem started after a power cut.

I have fairly exhaustively investigated and tried to fix this as follows:-

Seagate 250Gb disk in four partitions, C,D,E,F. Using a partition tool confirms that the active and primary partition is C. The files on all the partitions are all visible using file explorers on bootable recovery CDs (ERD Commander and HIRENS). I have been able to back up the important data. The operating system files are on C partition only.

Run disc diagnostic – passed, no errors

Run Memtest86+ - passed

Run chkdsk /f – fixed a couple of errors

Via recovery console on original disk

Run fixmbr, reboot, not fixed

Run fixboot, reboot, not fixed

Run bootcfg /rebuild fixboot. Reboot, not fixed (this is the most recent listed configuration)

Tried repair install from recovery console. Copied files etc, then automatically tried to reboot but stalled at same place.

I have also tried the disk in another PC and get the same result. I have disconnected, clean and reconnected all relevant internal wiring.

The BIOS is set to boot first from CD then HDD, and detect HDD is set to AUTO.

I have run out of ideas. Can anyone help? I would be grateful for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:42 AM

I would clone the drive, then do a clean install.

#3 gghar1

gghar1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:13 AM

Thanks. I may well end up doing that. I am also interested in finding out which part of the boot sequence is at fault, as the hardware appears intact.

#4 gghar1

gghar1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:44 AM

Although there were no specific error messages, I have just tried replacing NTLDR, NTDETECT and NTOSKRNL with originals from the installation disc. No change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users