Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securing files and folders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

I remember years ago, using MS Word 97 in either Windows 98 or XP, I managed to create a password lock for a file that I use to this day - even now using MS Word 2007. I don't remember exactly how I did it. I can't seem to be able to do that at all now.
Seen a few ways to hide a file/folder using a convoluted script and pay through the nose to get specialized software.
There must be an easy way to do this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:03 AM

To set a password in MS Word 2007 click the Microsoft Office Button , click Save As, and on the bottom of the Save As dialog, click Tools. On the Tools menu, click General Options. Under File sharing options for this document you can add a password to open or to modify the document.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hey, thanks! Any way to do the same with folders, jpg's, and/or mp3 files?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

One method you can use is to add the files to a ZIP file and then apply a password to the ZIP file.

Otherwise you could encrypt the files: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/password-protect-files-folders#1TC=windows-7
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users