Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am trying to create a virtual drive for Win7 ULT 64

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RichUrm

RichUrm

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:59 PM

I am trying to create a virtual drive for Win7 ULT 64 from a backup copy of a Win7 ULT 64 system that will not boot, seemingly because the second Sector is Unwriteable.  Chkdsk returns no errors, except the last

statement about the log file being unwrittable to the second sector.

I am going to install Win7 Ult on a 240 G SSD drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure and then will create a win7 virtual machine to run the virtual disk.  Since the virtual disk is a g0od part of a 1 TB drive and the SSD is only 240 GB, will that pose a problem, or can I run it from the virtual machine on the SSD in the USB enclosure and just point to a bigger drive?

I somewhat understand the concept, just from reading, but do not have practical experience or training.

Thanks for any info and guidance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:50 PM

If the backup is that big 1TB and the HD itself is that size then you're going to have a problem converting as not enough space there to swap. You would need a larger drive or a secondary drive. There is a tool to take a disk and make it into a virtual .VHD file that can be mounted in the system manager, Virtual PC, vmware etc. However, there is no way to convert the vhd back. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

Edit: Backup data to a virtual drive.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19896/how-to-backup-your-data-to-a-virtual-hard-drive-in-windows-7/

Mounting windows backup as a virtual disk.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/how-to-restore-vhd-file-backup/f3ed3ca5-3079-40cd-a959-835caeba80a7

Edited by technonymous, 19 October 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#3 RichUrm

RichUrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:12 PM

Thank you.   i am thinking my plan of attack has to be:

1. to install Win7 on the SSD USB enclosure.  (awaiting answers or tips on how to do that correctly)

2. Check out my backup for the Win7 OS on the SSD to assure the data is accessible.

3.  Reformat the 1 TB drive to isolate the bad sector(s).

4.  Create a virtual drive from the backup.

5   Install a virtual machine on the SSD.   Will the VM on the SSD be able to utilize (mount) the 1 TB Virtual HD from the actual 1TB HD?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

Well the backup image is already in a vhd format that's why I posted all those I wasn't sure exactly what you're attempting to do. To my undestanding no vhd cannot be put back on to a freshly formated or new drive and be booted. It's not like a clone of the drive that would include the boot files and partition structure. There is a way to boot vhd virtually though. However, only certain structured vhd's can do that. I don't think windows backup will do that. The vhd's would have to be created from a Windows install disc or ISO of a install disc, or like a linux live cd.

Yes, the VM mounted in disk management on the SSD should see it. There may be an issue with doing that though. It would depend on the bios and boot loader. Booting from USB is one thing, booting from USB housing a virtual drive is another. Not saying it's not possible just saying that you could run into an issue there. You biggest problem is not being able to boot from windows backup. Furthermore, I wouldn't trust a dying HD to house any backup or important files at all. One bad sector along the way and *poof* there goes your backup because it's corrupt.

I think you need to get you a couple hd's preferably 2TB each because games and things are increasinlgy getting larger these days. You need one to replace the dying drive in the USB enclosure. Instead of windows backup get a backup software that has HD clone abilities. This may or may not cost money to get the software, but it is well worth it. Something like True Image. Once the backup of your OS and all your important files are put on the USB dismount it and store it somewhere safe. The second 2TB drive for everyday use like game installs etc etc. IMO that would be the best solution. This way you're not left in the dark when something goes majorly wrong with the OS and the SSD dies.

#5 RichUrm

RichUrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:31 AM

The backup is NOT yet in VHD format.

Doesn't the Virtual disk have to be bootable into the virtual machine if you want to run the Windows programs installed on it?  Currently, the backup is on another disk, but it was made after the first day of the system not booting, so it probably has some corrupted boot files.

It is backed up in the Easeus ToDo Backup format.  I know that Paragon and Easeus have some amazing programs that manipulate Virtual files, creating them, making them machine independent and I believe they can go both ways, HD to VHD and VHD back to HD

(not positive.)

My first concern is if a VHD can be created from the backup, and then if it can actually boot up into the VM that will eventually be created on the SSD.  I am hoping there will be no problems like you mentioned with running a VM from the USB enclosure that is using the hard disk to contain the VHD.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:00 AM

There is a lot of detail to doing this, so here's a video on VHD and native booting to give you an idea how to boot from vhd. It shows how to create or attach a vhd in disk management and also gives an example how to create a vdisk from the CLI. Then goes on to show how to use Microsofts AIK and use imagex to put .wim file onto the vhd. Then the last part of the video shows how to edit the bcd to point to the virtual drive. All said and done correctly you should see the virtual drive show up on the Windows boot loader menu and you can select what you want to boot from. Another thing I might add that in the video he creates a fixed vdisk you can create a expanded one instead so the vdisk can grow in size as needed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEnIO9KRlLo

Here's another good video...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6PEb5mH7-c  It doesn't include the bcdedit part. Before you do anything with bcdedit, be sure to create a backup first with command bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup If something goes wrong you can repair it. It's good to run the backup command anyways and keep a copy of it.

Edited by technonymous, 21 October 2014 - 04:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users